Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
arkberry

Unusually cold zone 8 and Christmas tree lights

arkberry
10 years ago

So far this year the temps in the upper portions of zone 8 have been way way below normal for several weeks. The citrus in he unheated greenhouse have showed more winter leaf dop in three weeks than all of last year. We re now looking at several straight days with single digit temps. I can not remember the last time even a sinle day was single digits. In anticipation of a 6 degree low I have emptied the greenhouse and brought all containers inside. That was no easy task considering the number and weight of plants. No they are all over the house and I get the joy of taking them back outside in a few days (hopefully).

I have one satsuma outside in the ground that will need a little extra help and I think the Christmas lights will work great. I have tested them inside and they get nice and warm. What would be the best placement of the lights on the tree. I also have my usual frost blanket and a five gallon water buckets from the greenhouse.

I also want o use some lights in the greenhouse to try and keep the temps up a bit to reduce the wld. Any suggestions on placement (on plants, or pots, etc).

On the plus side we are going to pick kumquats from our living room this evening. A bit ironic to pick citrus fruit when you have an inch of pure ice outside.

Comments (3)