Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rpgibbs

Problem with a Honeybell Orange Tree

rpgibbs
17 years ago

We bought a Honeybell Orange tree 2 years ago from a local nursery and at that time it had blooms and several small oranges at the time of planting. However the past 2 seasons there have been no blooms or oranges present on the tree. The tree looks very healthy and has grown substantially with a deep green color and many new branches - but no blooms or oranges. Any suggestions as to what I am doing wrong? We live in Naples. rpgibbs@hotmail.com

Comments (21)

• dghays
    17 years ago

It sounds somewhat strange, but I'm betting that this spring it'll probably produce some. Perhaps it got more nitrogen last year inducing vegetative growth, instead of flowering. If it doesn't this spring, perhaps ease back on ferts to see if that will help it.

Gary

• bencelest
    17 years ago

They are self plucking. The plant will drop fruits they don't need or can carry. Only 2% or less of the strongest fruit will remain.
    And if you want much bigger fruit when the fruit is marble size pluck the ones that are a little smaller than the rest.
    I only retain 2 to 3 fruit per branch- my preference only

• kquat
    17 years ago

I just bought a Rio honey tangerine ( its flowers are as small as lime flowers) and a honey tangerine ( its flowers are bigger). I heard there are Honey Murcott and Honeybell tangerines ( what else?). Do all those trees have sweet fruits? If you say that depends on the soil, does lime or Potassium increase the sweetness? or what? The problem with lime is it increases the ph and citruses are acid lovers. Well, I sure thank you very much. K

• parrothead_fa
    17 years ago

Yes, it will take from now til dec to ripen fruit which are forming now. I learned since moving to Florida that most citrus take from 6-9 months from fruit set to harvest. Also, never prune or cut back the braches on your citrus, as they flower from the new growth, and you'll be removing the part that will produce next years fruit.
    Dave

• cavamarie
    17 years ago

I also have a small Honeybell (known also as a Minneola Tangelo I believe). I was told they are not self pollinating; that they need another citrus closeby to pollinate. I just got a Temple orange tree to plant nearby, so I hope that helps in setting more fruit.

• cal1941
    16 years ago

I have a couple of orange trees that are having problems with brown spots on their leaves. These spots will grow and then bore through the leaf itself. What is it and how do I get rid of it?

• southernites
    15 years ago

We have a beautiful second season honeybelle which produced fruit last year. This year there are only 2 or 3 on it.

The tree was quite large when we purchased it.The leaves look good, dark green and it is growing well.

What am I doing wrong? We live in Ormond Beach but not near the ocean about 6 to 8 miles in land.

• littlelemon29
    15 years ago

honeybells are definetely not self pollinating- and- not just any other citrus close by will do it- they need a specific kind..

I think most people use Page or Ponkin for the pollinators (but don't quote me on those names)..

Google them and you should find the names of pollinators you can use.

I had a beautiful honeybell a few years ago but took it back when I googled and found that it was not self pollinating.

Good luck

• malcolm_manners
    15 years ago

'Minneola' (a.k.a. Honneybelle) is often budded to 'Cleopatra' mandarin rootstock, which gives a vigorous tree with high-quality fruit. However, this combination often takes several years to really start bearing well.

Minneola does need a pollenizer, but nearly any other variety will do. The few that don't work include another 'Minneola', 'Orlando' tangelo, and anything that does not make viable pollen, such as 'Tahiti' lime or most navel oranges. But nearly any other mandarin, sweet orange, grapefruit, tangor, or lemon should work just fine. The house I grew up in had a 'Minneola' and a 'Meyer' lemon, and the Minn. made huge crops of fruit with that pollen.

• orchidguyftl
    15 years ago

mine seems to do well with self pollintion

• gfhunt_gte_net
    15 years ago

Some of the fruit on my honeybell is spitting and dropping from the tree. Any ideas?

• gatormomx2
    15 years ago

Too much water - probably rainfall amounts . Nothing you can do .
    This is from U of F :

Minneola will develop into a very large tree at maturity and adequate space for development should be provided.
    Minneola is not strongly self-fruitful and low yields will be experienced if suitable pollenizers are not supplied in close proximity and numbers.
    Even when pollenizers are supplied and growing conditions are good, Minneolas will sometimes produce disappointingly small crops, the reason for which is not clearly understood.

Here is a link that might be useful: Minneola Tangelo

• zap3535_bellsouth_net
    13 years ago

i bought a honneybell tree 3 years ago.this is the first year that half the tree produced. the fruit is shaped like a honeybell but is larger than a grape fruit. the fruit taste like a sour orange and only 2 turned orange. the other 2 dozen are yellow. the tree is healthy and i have followed fertilizing and spraying instructions. do you think this tree will produce good fruit or should i remove it?

• shickshcd_cfl_rr_com
    13 years ago

we have a wonderfully large honey bell tree that produces many fruit each season about 13 years old. most fruit have seeds some have lots of seeds. my tree produces both a honey bell look orange as well as a plain orange look. my tree also produces some ugly bumpy fruit, inside the flesh is good. not all oranges are affected by this ugly look. we feed as recommended, it is planted on a slight hill so roots don't stay wet. i thought honey bell had no seeds and all were bell shaped on top. what do i do for these ugly fruit can they be sprayed when in flower? with wehat?

• lisascenic Urban Gardener, Oakland CA
    13 years ago

If the fruit is tasty, who cares if it's ugly on the outside?

• starlady
    13 years ago

b j hicks - are the "ugly" fruits toward the bottom of the tree? could be the rootstock is producing branches and you're getting two types of fruit on your tree. Look for a graft line and see whether any of the branches producing fruit are below that.

• tom92532103_yahoo_com
    13 years ago

My bark is cracking and pealing off. What is causing this.

• chrisjanmcc_comcast_net
    13 years ago

We live in Jax and have had a beautiful Honey beell tangelo tree for 11 years. This year, no new leaves (old leaves curled and hanging on) BUT lots of flowers and small green fruit starting as usual. The tree looks unwell. Thoughts?

• Mick Moynihan
    8 years ago

We have a minneola tree and for several years, there was no fruit and I gave it one more year and this past year, we had sixteen fruit which were delicious. Right now there are 13 fruit and lots of fragrant blossoms. I am puzzled that we can have fruit and blossoms. I am also pleased to see honeybees.

• Christina Stride
    3 years ago

We had the same problem with our tree when I was growing up. My grandfather planted a fish close to it's roots and before you know we had the best honeybells ever! Our tree produced the biggest and most juiciest fruit ever!

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio