Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hermitian

Anyone growing Robertson Navel?

Hermitian
9 years ago

This variety grows Washington-like navels in clusters. The fruit quality is only average on young trees but stands right up to Washington in maturity. As a kid, I was very familiar with the Washington tree that bore the original sport -- Mr. Robertson had the property next door to my father's childhood home in Redlands. It's now been replaced by tract houses. There are still a few nursery growers that maintain a mother tree of it. I bought one grafted on standard rootstock directly from Durling about 12 years ago.

Comments (12)

• johnmerr
    9 years ago

The Robertson is a sport of Washington navel; it has some nice characteristics for home growers... earlier maturity, higher yield, cluster production, etc; but it is almost non-existent in commercial production, as the tree tends to be smaller and the fruit quality at maturity is a bit below Washington. An advantage for home growers is that it hangs on the tree longer, allowing you to enjoy it slowly.
    Seems for you to also have an emotional attachment because of your history. Good for you.. keep it, pamper it, and enjoy it. For me the only orange I want is the Cara Cara; I have various others, but the only one I would put my energy into is the CC.

• axier - Z10, Basque Country (Spain)
    9 years ago

Hermitian, If it is for emotional motivations, nothing to say, but if it is for quality and earliness, Navelina, Newhall or Fukumoto can be better options.

John, I have Cara Cara but is very young yet, so I have not tasted it.
    I frequently read in forum posts that CC is an excellent variety, the best navel for many people.
    However, the "official descriptions" in books and web sites mostly describe it like a Washington navel, with identical characteristics, but red colored.
    I am confused...

• Hermitian
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks guys, although I'm not looking for another tree - for heavens sake I have 17 varieties of Citrus on my property! But I am curious about others who have the Robertson. :)

• johnmerr
    9 years ago

axier,

The Cara Cara has a brighter and very distinct flavor that is IMHO better than any other orange I have tasted; the first time I tasted a CC, I didn't even know what it was; but I knew at once that I had to have it..

• MrClint
    9 years ago

I too would be interested in a 'Robertson' navel discussion, with personal experiences and pictures welcomed. I don't recall it ever being discussed here.

• axier - Z10, Basque Country (Spain)
    9 years ago

Thanks John, I am looking forward to taste Cara Cara.
    Sorry for the off topic. I leave CC and come back to Roberston.

• johnmerr
    9 years ago

Two of the more popular, but lesser known navel oranges that often "pop up" are the Robertson and the Thomson; both had brief fame as commercial varieties without longer term success. The Washington navel remains the odds on favorite for commercial growers, although the Cara Cara will, in my opinion, one day give it a run for its money.,, but the size of the navel orange market will make it slow and reluctant to change.

• Hermitian
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Johnmerr!
    We're real clear on your opinion of CC :)
    Also, several of us on this forum are involved in the agricultural industry. So we're also real clear about the non-viability of Robertson as a plantation crop. I could also tell stories about it! :)

I started this thread to discuss who (among homeowners) is growing Robertson. I don't sell plants or distribute scion material, nor do I have any investment in a firm that does, so please don't worry about my motivations. In particular, I'm not trying to stir up demand. Instead, I am simply inquiring about individuals who happen to have this plant in their garden or backyard orchard -- for whatever reason.

• hoosierquilt USDA 10A Sunset 23 Vista CA
    9 years ago

Hermitian, we had Robertson navels growing in Moreno Valley when I lived out there in the mid-80's to early 90's. I thought they were as good as any Washington navel, personally. I like them a lot out there, we had one across the street from us that got left in the church's front yard area, and we got to pick as many of the oranges as we wanted, which was wonderful. Haven't had any since, then, though. I haven't brought one to my yard, as I have a Fukomoto, Cara Cara and Atwood. Fukomoto as it is earlier, and also because it is one of the citrus cultivars that tend to sport variegated foliage (none, yet, but always watching). Atwood because it holds better on the tree than Washinton, so I can make my tree the "storage" spot for fruit, instead of having to pick it all, and stick it fridge. Just have to wait until January for the best fruit on Atwood. And, Cara Cara because it is a little sweeter than Washington (or Roberston), and I like my citrus on the sweet side. And, it is a lovely color. I use my citrus quite a bit in cooking and food prep, and it makes a lovely complement to a citrus salad. It is my favorite orange, with the exception of the few living Valencia oranges in the abandoned orange orchard behind us that are on sour orange. They are out of this world good.

I think one of the joys of being able to grow dooryard citrus is to have different cultivars that are meaningful for you. I have Clemnules because that's what I got in my Christmas stocking every year as a kid. Stuffed in the toe, the best for last. Wonderful memories, and every time I eat one, I feel like I'm 6, again :-) Be sure to post some photos of your Robertson, it's wonderful that someone continues to propagate it, and that you get to grow it in your yard.

Patty S.

• Hermitian
    Original Author
    9 years ago

hoosierquilt said: "I thought they were as good as any Washington navel, personally."

Yes, that's my experience in southern CA. I am also absent a plant. The one I purchased 12 years ago is at my previous home in Rancho Penasquitos. I don't have all my trees in the ground yet at my new home in Vista. Most of them are in 25gal pots or 32" box. One of the latter is a Washington Navel. I might just swap it out for a Robertson.

• olinkab
    8 years ago

I have an older Robertson tree (40 yrs), I think it's a little sourer than the oranges I get from my Washington tree (which is about 5 years old) but in a good flavorful way. I think I like it a little better than Washington. It is very juicy, very flavorful. I also get a lot of compliments from other people who taste it. They think it's out of this world best tasting orange ever. I tend to agree.

• HU-679123553
    2 years ago

Hermitian - the tree in my childhood home i think is a Robertson. the small town im from almost any house had one all planted 1930-1940s. ive always loved those oranges, and just now found a grower that had small tree. cant wait fornit to mature and enjoy those big oranges