Return to the Citrus Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Insects and Spraying???

Posted by pgde Tucson Zone 9 (My Page) on
Tue, Dec 11, 12 at 16:39

Hi All:

Several questions:

1. Is this a good time of the year to spray non-blooming citrus with hort oil? I was thinking that since the temps are now more moderate, this might be good to attack eggs, etc.
2. I have a supply of Neem oil. Does Neem oil = horticultural oil and can it be substituted?
3. Some insect is attacking the fruits of my Naval Orange tree and my Star Ruby Grapefruit. Whatever it is drills a perfectly round hole in the fruit about 0.5 inch in diameter and when one shakes the fruit, a swarm of tiny insects come flying out that have transparent wings, black (or dark) bodies and are about 1/16" to 1/8" in size. What is interesting is that they do not attack either of my lemons or my lime tree. Any ideas or what to do? I don't have any pix since I wanted to destroy the fruit ASAP. Will try to remember to get pix next time....

Thanks all for your help.

Happy holidays!

P.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Insects and Spraying???

The hole and the insects are likely not related; without a photo I would venture to guess that the hole is made by a bird and the insects are just taking advantage of the easy access to sugar.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Citrus Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here