Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
stickstring

New Cara Cara tree, has bugs!

I just purchased a Four Winds Growers Cara Cara tree in a 3.4 gal pot. Assuming from their website it's a 2-3 yr old tree. It was purchased from a local nursery here in town.

This morning I went out to remove the support stake, and clean up anything that needed to be cleaned up. I found 3 or 4 fairly large white, soft, bugs attached to the tree where the branches meat other branches. I removed them, squeezed and confirmed they were bugs. I inspected the entire tree and found little white specs throughout the tree which I tried to remove as much as possible by hand. They left a "rust color" on my fingers. I also found a tiny red bug moving fairly quickly on a branch which got away. I turned over all leaves and inspected as best I could and found 1 leave with many little bugs (see pic below). Unfortunatly I did not take a pic of the large white ones. The way they felt was extremely soft like a fuzzy moth.
Unfortunatly, I was unaware of this infestation and I brought this tree home two days ago and put them right next to my meyer tree's.

Does anyone have a good solid, and effective way of eliminating these bugs quicky?
By the way, I only found 1 leaf with the little bugs attached, I removed this leaf and discarded it with bugs attached.
Thank you.

Comments (15)