Return to the Citrus Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Planting citrus trees together

Posted by kevindh CA (My Page) on
Sat, Dec 8, 07 at 17:01

I have an undetermined dwarf orange tree, a Eureka Lemon and a Mexican "Key" Lime tree. I've been told that they should not be planted close to each other or they will cross polinate. If this is true, how far apart should I plant them? Can the orange be in the same yard as the lemon and lime?

I appreciate your reply!!

Kevin

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Planting citrus trees together

makes no sense to me. Cross pollination will not change the flavor of the fruit, and unless you plan on planting and growing seed, it won't make any difference at all.
There are a very small number of citrus that will have more seeds when cross pollinated, like W. Murcott. But none of the 3 you mentioned will be affected by cross.
Even if the were, being in the same yard would be too close and there are almost certainly other citrus trees close enough to you that it will happen anyway.
Hope that helps
Arthur

o
RE: Planting citrus trees together

Kevin, the topic of cross pollination is a complicated one! But very simply, your citrus cannot and will not cross pollinate. The bees may swap pollen all over the place, the pollen from one can't fertilize the flower of the others. Okay? This is for citrus, by the way, and not necessarily for other plants.

As Arthur said...IF THEY COULD successfully cross pollinate, it would never be the fruit that would be affected, but the seeds within that fruit. The seedling generation would be highly variable.

As an aside, yummy summer squash can cross pollinate with pumpkins (for example). Such an event won't affect the quality of this year's harvest, but don't save the seeds to plant next year! Yikes!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Citrus Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here