Return to the Citrus Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Repotting of clementine and satsuma today

Posted by arkberry none (My Page) on
Sat, Dec 10, 11 at 17:07

Repotted these two trees today from a commcial soil into the 511 solid mix. I chose the 511 over the gritty due to a weight constraint on the satsuma and I will hopefully see some growth in the clementine and it will need to be repotted soon.

The clementine was a new citrus I received via mail order and I was having a terrible time with leaf drop. The replies from a previous post and a lot of other reading seem to point to too much water. I removed the clementine from its existing pot and went a smaller pot and attempted my first bare root job. After I know I did a bit of damage to them, I stopped and repotted what I had. I can send a picture of how much root was lost and a picture of what the roots looked like (can niot get my pictures to post intonthe message). I did not see or smell any signs of root rot on them.

The satsuma has always done well and I shook the loose soil I from its root ball (appeared to be some variation of a homemade mix) and repotted into the 511.

Overall the ingredients for the 511 were easy to find. By far the most difficult ingredient was the fine bark. Every pet store in two was out of the reptibark and the selection of bark at the nurseries was pretty limited. I found the old most decayed bag of mulch and took it. I spent a good amount of time shredding the much by hand and with a pampered chef hand held food chopper. Ven with this amount of effort, the sizes may still be a little on the large side, but it was all I could do.

It was very interstitial to see the bottom of the pots with the over the counter citrus mix. They most definitely were very damp. You can tell just by looking at th soils that the 511 will drain much better.

If the water retention was the problem I am guessing it will tak a whirle to see new growth on the clementine. Any time guesses would be greatly appreciated and also any thoughts on the root damage. The last thing I am curious about is should I go ahead and water the too new potting jobs especially the clementine.

I would like to take a moment to thank the people who have posted to the site in order to help and also taken the time to make videos on the soil.

Tomorrow I will be redoing a tangelo.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Repotting of clementine and satsuma today

Hello!

You might not see new growth until Spring....
then again, you might see growth within a few weeks. It depends on the vitality of the plants
prior to re-potting, as well as the vigor of the plants in the recovery.

Water each container with cool (not cold water) to make sure that the soil volume is moist.
Put a chopstick or skewer in the container to help you judge when the lower layers are drying out.
In two weeks, apply some fertilizer at half-strength or less.

As you know, this is not the optimal time to be re-potting. So keep that in mind
as you evaluate both the 5-1-1 mix and the recovery of the trees.

Josh

o
RE: Repotting of clementine and satsuma today

Since the repotting, we are still dropping leaves. Any ideas how long it will take before the clementine stops. Satsuma doing great.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Citrus Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here