Return to the Citrus Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Potted Valencia orange tree dropping leaves

Posted by mzkrista (My Page) on
Fri, Dec 31, 10 at 18:26

I have a beautiful potted Valencia orange tree that has recently been dropping healthy green leaves at a alarming rate. It has one orange the size of a softball on it. It does have a mealy bug problem. It is not over watered. Could it be the mealys? I have it in full sun in my green house at the temp of 71 degrees. All the leaves are shiney and bright green. I pulled it up from the pot and the roots are healthy. This is my 1st orange tree and have a Meyers lemon so worried in case the lemon starts to do the same. Also any advice how to get rid of mealy bugs?Thank you for your advice!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Potted Valencia orange tree dropping leaves

We need to know more about this tree. How long have you had it? How long has it been in the same container? What kind of potting medium do you have? Does your greenhouse remain steadily at 71 or is that a day OR night temperature? Is your plant watered adequately/properly?

Insect infestations can cause stress for a plant. They have to use considerable energy resources to withstand and recover such attacks. My favorite method of mealybug control on citrus (and most other plants) is to keep a misting bottle filled with a solution of one part isopropyl alcohol to three parts water so that you can attack the critters on a regular basis. You can also go after them with a cotton swab dipped in the alcohol out of the bottle PLUS mist them.

Don't use the alcohol on bright, sunny days...or anything else, for that matter.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Citrus Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here