Return to the Citrus Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Meyer lemon seedling?

Posted by jandey Tx8 (My Page) on
Mon, Dec 3, 12 at 18:28

Hi all! I usually hang out at the plumeria forum, but I could use some advice from you citrus pros here.

Several years ago I bought a Meyer lemon for a friend. When I repotted it, a little side shoot came off the root ball--it looks like it was a completely separate plant, like a seedling that was in the pot with the larger tree. I kept the baby and it's grown very well for me.

It looks exactly like Meyermike's pictures in the other post: wide leaves with purplish buds that open to white, and a short, dense growth habit. It's been producing for a few years now and makes huge sweet lemons.

My first question is: Is it possible for a Meyer seedling to be so close to the parent?

And secondly, what are the chances that its own seedling would be consistent in traits? Because I have a small 2 y.o. seedling of the suspected seedling that has completely different leaves so far.

I'll save my grafting questions for another time, LOL! Thanks for your help!
Jen

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Meyer lemon seedling?

If it is producing already, it is not a seedling. If it has purplish buds and produces large sweet lemons, it certainly sounds like a Meyer. Some suppliers in your area produce trees from rooted cuttings; it is entirely possible you got two plants in one container.

As for seedlings being close to the mother, if the fruit falls to the ground and is not collected, it is quite common to produce a tree from seed. My Mother, who was less than diligent about collecting dropped fruit, had two new trees from under her Meyer; they ultimately produced "Meyer" lemons... at least, they looked and tasted like Meyers; but they took about 5 years before they produced the first fruit.

o

• Posted by jkom51 Z9 CA/Sunset 17 (My Page) on
    Mon, Dec 3, 12 at 20:33

My neighbor's Meyer dropped fruit all around and one of the seeds actually sprouted and grew. It's now 17 yrs old, 10' across and 8' high.

I really can't remember when it first started producing lemons, but I believe our first small harvest was when it was about 3-4 yrs old.

Meyer seed is so low in viability as to be almost useless. I've got three Meyers and fruit drop happens all the time. No other Meyers have ever sprouted up except for that once. You're quite fortunate!

o

I don't know that Meyer seed is low in viability; some years ago I planted 600 seeds and got 580 trees....it is quite a different thing than expecting a seed inside a rotting fruit on the surface of the soil to produce a tree.

o

Thank you for the information! It really looked like a seedling, very tiny and completely green stemmed. It did take about five years to grow large enough to fruit, but it really does seem exactly like a Meyer. Maybe it was a very small rooted cutting?

I tried growing several of the seeds and only one sprouted, this one with the strange, thin, narrow leaves. Guess I'll wait to use it for grafting stock, until I know it won't make a desirable plant. It's already a little on the thorny side.

Thanks again!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Citrus Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here