Return to the Citrus Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
White bugs on citrus trees?

Posted by floridian Zone 10 (My Page) on
Wed, Dec 31, 08 at 19:01

Hi, I hope someone can help me. I have three young citrus trees (one pummelo, one Valencia orange and one Minneola Tangelo) and they have chewed leaves. When I inspected I found some white bugs on them I've never seen before. They are about 1/2 inch long, 1/4 inch wide and look like little weevels. When disturbed they drop to the ground. Does anyone know what these are? How do you get rid of them? Any advice would be much appreciated, thank you!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: White bugs on citrus trees?

does it look like cottony cushion scale? this is what i found on my lemon tree this last week. although, i don't think they eat the leaves. not sure.

o

Call your Florida Co-op Extension Services office in your county. They can help. See the link below and choose your county.

Here is a link that might be useful: FL Co-op Ext Services by County contacts

o

zubababy - nope, definitely not scale, I'm familiar with that... no, my little critters really do look like weevils, 6 little legs and a separate head and all...

tsmith2579 - yes that's always an option... just thought with the holidays it might be quicker to get an answer here...

Thank you both for the quick response! Apparently I'm not the only one skipping the party tonight :-)

o
RE: White bugs on citrus trees? - Mystery solved

Ha - mystery solved... Citrus root weevil... found out thanks to another thread on tropical fruit.

http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/HS130

So at least I got the weevil part right... and if I'm lucky and I've got the flightless ones (which I think) then I just might have interrupted their cycle by putting a collar and tanglefoot on the tree trunks... Let's hope!

o
weevil

o

Hi zubabay - yes, that's definitely the one! Thank you for the link, very helpful, I will try to shake them off into a container with alcohol. I really appreciate your research!

Happy New Year!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Citrus Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here