Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
meyermike_1micha

Ok Northerners, where are your trees and how are they doing??

meyermike_1micha
9 years ago

Here are some of mine on my porch....They thrive out there even thought I get very little direct sunlight...

{{gwi:2126009}}

{{gwi:2126010}}

{{gwi:2126011}}

{{gwi:2126012}}

{{gwi:2126013}}

{{gwi:2126015}}

{{gwi:2126014}}

Then I have two trees in my small greenhouse..The Orange Tree in full tons of blooms and flowers and my ground planted Meyer lemon tree..

{{gwi:2126022}}

{{gwi:2126023}}

{{gwi:2126020}}

{{gwi:2126021}}

So where are you storing yours for the winter months and how are they doing????????

Mike

Comments (60)

• anne33kb
    9 years ago

Wish I could send photos. I have two Meyer lemons, a Key lime and a Buddha's Hand in my greenhouse with a low temp of 50-55 degrees heat setting. The older Meyer lemon is loaded with lemons all beginning to ripen at same time, new Meyer has fruit slightly behind the older one, and the Key Lime has blooms and fruit all the way from just forming to just ripening. It has begun to loose leaves but only older leaves. The Buddha's Hand has two fairly large fruit and I just noticed some just formed fruit that may yet fall off. They are all in pots and the greenhouse smells great.
    MeyerMike I learn so much from you and I am thrilled you didn't give up on citrus.
    Steve, I am an old amateur with Meyer lemon and Key lime well over 5 years old and I strongly disagree with you about the difficulty in raising them, I grow figs outside here and some years they freeze back but I don't care because the wasps and hornets keep me from harvesting them and they are never as special as citrus home grown. Not trying to start an argument-Just think every one should have a Meyer lemon.
    Anne- NC zone 7

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    9 years ago

Lastly, my Moro blood orange....with a Black Pearl pepper to the left. Like I said, it's been mild enough that my peppers are still doing well outdoors.

Josh

• maggyby
    9 years ago

Nice trees everyone. Mine are in the greenhouse .All 16 of them. Maggy

• poncirusguy6b452xx
    9 years ago

Anne

No argument. Its my kumquats that are hard to grow and not worth showing. My Meyer lemons look great as do all my other citrus trees. Sorry to hear about your figs vs wasps vs humans situation.

Steve

• Boozemonkey
    9 years ago

Mine are indoors and dropping leaves like crazy. They are under 600 watts of Halide and still unhappy. im lost. At least this time I was able to get a few oranges and lemons

• meyermike_1micha
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hey everyone, as a whole. looking great!!!

Josh, you know how you feel when you wedge in there how MILD your weather is..lol YOu should of had a frost a long time ago..Now I know who is stealing my warm weather, for months..lol
    Fantastic work buddy! I remember when your trees were just insy binsy things. I love the meyer fruit and the color of your variegated...)
    Lol, too funny, you are right, it's a good thing I am skinny..I am just happy I thought of utilizing that area, or they would all have to be in my sunroom upstairs...No mites or issues on the porch!

Boozemonkey, what's going on? You should be able to grow them with ease, especially hanging around here. Is there anything I can do to help. E-mail me if you want. Anne has))

Speaking of Anne, hello) It's wonderful to see how good you are doing with your trees..That makes me happy..I wish you could post a few pics, to make it more dramatic...Thank you.

Steve, nice job on that greenhouse. Very nice job. I like the view from the top.
    Some day, you will get your Kumquats down to a science.It's a lot of trial and error for some.

Maggy, oh my!!! Where would you have put all those if you had not gotten that greenhouse? I love how well they are doing for this winter. So green and healthy. Continually keep watch for mites, spray consistenly, even if you don't see them, ok.

Seems to me that everyone using Foliage Pro and vinegar for their containers are producing very dark and healthy leaf growth along with size and fruit..It's all about the nutrients too for sure)

Citrus weekend, that is a Ponderosa Lemon Tree..I saved that tree from a older lady's home who had passed away that left it outside to die in the winter cold, pot and all. It has a story behind that I posted a while back
    The trunk is about 4 inches in Diameter and I think it's only a few years old, like 5.
    It has a beautiful root surface that I will post later. I will start a thread on showing off where the roots meet with the trunks.
    I produces well and does no require FULL hot sun to do well. I have to subject most of my trees to very little direct sun for the winter with lousy cloudy days and they all do well somehow..I am grateful for that.
    That tree produces fruit like no tomorrow and huge at that. The fruit is great and huge.
    I would defiunitely get one of these if you are a beginner at growing citrus since it has always been one of the easiest for me to grow since I first started. They grow like weeds and even smell great. Will flower blooms almost all year any time of the year. One of my must haves.

Looking for more northerners here)))))))))))))))))))))))
    Are there more northerners? They don't have to be doing great to post. Let us know where they are and how they are doing? Anyone that can not leave them out all winter or in the ground....I know there are dozens more here. Come on...Lets liven up this forum for a bit. It's been too long.

MIke

• maggyby
    9 years ago

Mike, quick question ? What do I spay with to prevent / treat mites.
    Thanks Maggy

• meyermike_1micha
    Original Author
    9 years ago

If the Fish{{gwi:807}} Emulsion has failed you a combination of Rosemary all natural and Neem oil cold pressed, with a castile soap which is safe or use Ivory which is not harsh.
    I think many are forgetting that the cold pressed Neem is the only one that does the job best.

A natural soap to emulsify the oils is best but who has time to get that these days?

Make sure the water is warm when you mix it and spray every 4 days or so for about 2 weeks..Then once a month after that. You trees will be perfectly healthy and untouched with mites..Don't skip a beat or they will get the best of you and your trees)

Google 'liquidladybug' too..I am thinking about giving it a try if nothing else works..But so far so good with me.

MIke

This post was edited by meyermike_1micha on Mon, Dec 8, 14 at 19:13

• maggyby
    9 years ago

Thanks Mike,how much neem,Rosemary oil and soap. ? Please! I will write it down. Must smell nice
    Maggy .

• meyermike_1micha
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Maggy..

you know those 32 ounce spray bottle you can pick up at any store?

I fill them with warm water the amount of oil it says of the Neem. NOt too much not too little. I think it's a 1/4 teaspoon? I add about 15 drops of soap and 20 to 25 drops of Rosemary oil..Aggitate and then aggrivate those buggers.

If you are spraying blossoms about to open on anything, fill another bottle with clean warm water, almost hot and heavily spray the flowers only after about 20 minutes..You won't loose a bud to any oils and not a leaf to excess oils..

It's important to use oils and mitcides, not pesticides since spider mites are not like your common bugger.

Be consistent my friend.

Mike

This post was edited by meyermike_1micha on Mon, Dec 8, 14 at 19:47

• maggyby
    9 years ago

Thank you my dear friend. Your the best. Maggy

• orangelime1
    9 years ago

Hi everyone. Great pictures . It is pretty amazing what us northerners can do with 2 months of summer . I like Mike am wondering how many northern citrus growers are out there and who is the furthest north citrus grower . I myself am in between
    Zone 4 and 5. Mikey keep up the great job you really are the best , you have probably inspired far more people then you could ever know to pick up a pot and plant a citrus tree . Here is a pic of my trees just before I brought them in for the winter . All of my trees had a haircut and a good shower before going in the Gh.

Brian

• poncirusguy6b452xx
    9 years ago

I just found a home for nagami. I'll be seeing her off tomorrow.

Steve

• poncirusguy6b452xx
    9 years ago

My original meiwa and nagami kumquats reside on the rooftop under glass. I forgot to close the front face of the cold frame and the tree went through a 13F, 15F and a couple of 17F nights. All the Murcott golds died as well as my grapefruits. The kumquats took leaf damage but both survived and the PT were not touched. Next spring both of the kumquat trees are going into the ground to sink or swim. They will get covered only. No heating though. The weed citrus tree I found out in the community garden lost the fresh august growth but the June growth is undamaged. It is 3 inches tall and have seen many days below 20F and dropped down to 13F with no cover of any kind.

Steve

• ocelaris
    9 years ago

Thought I'd introduce myself and share some pics. I'm in Northern NJ. I got most of these last spring/early summer; 2 were rescues. All are in the gritty mix, and get dynagro foliage pro. The window gets full unimpeded southern exposure, but it's an old window, so I'm lost a few leaves lately probably due to the cold being held in by the blinds. Otherwise they're all blooming and doing reasonably well. The meyer lemon and key lime may have been outside too long and shed most of their leaves when they started to flower in the early fall; they're still flowering away but haven't decided to grow leaves yet.

The 2 rescues are limes, the smaller one picture was in a "corona" container, near death, and really grew back well, for it's small size, and I couldn't resist letting it make a lime, though not sure if it's ripe, and would prefer to take it off to help the plant put it's energy elsewhere. Anyways, not the best pictures, but just thought I'd say hello.

1 Cara Cara navel
    2 Bearss Lime
    1 Key Lime
    1 Meyer Lemon
    1 Fortunealla Hindsii
    1 unknown lime (pictured with lime)
    1 Fukushu Kumquat

{{gwi:2127965}}
    {{gwi:2127966}}
    {{gwi:2127967}}
    {{gwi:2127968}}
    {{gwi:2127969}}
    {{gwi:2127970}}
    {{gwi:2127971}}

• ltilton
    9 years ago

Chicago area. I wish I could keep my potted trees on the sunporch through the winter, but it's not heated. I take them to the indoor swimming pool deck instead, where there's not enough room for them and insufficient light, but they have humidity and I can spray them regularly from the hose.

Spider mites are a constant threat.

• Ryan
    9 years ago

Brian - Beautiful trees, I really like that topiary form! - not a bad lawn either. More pictures please!

• happygarden168
    9 years ago

I keep my 3 citrus plants in the attic.
    so far so good.
    Here is my meyer lemon. I had 2 this year.

• happygarden168
    9 years ago

Here is gold nugget.
    Waiting to taste for the first time.

• happygarden168
    9 years ago

DeNule Clementine.
    I had 5 fruits for his year.
    last year I had 8 fruits.
    I use reflective film around the wall to capture more lights.

• orangelime1
    9 years ago

Hi RyanLo thanks buddy it's a labor of love and so is the grass but it keeps me out of trouble !!!

• maggyby
    9 years ago

Brian, your yard is beautiful. What a nice picture, I know it is not green today.
    Maggy

• orangelime1
    9 years ago

Hi RyanLo please forgive me my pictures are on my phone so I can only post one picture at a time . Hi Maggy thankyou . This is my Murcott .

• orangelime1
    9 years ago

A picture of my clemenules on left and murcott on right

Brian

• orangelime1
    9 years ago

This is a pic of my valencia orange

Brian

• orangelime1
    9 years ago

This is a pic of my Page .

Brian

• maggyby
    9 years ago

Brian, I forgot how big your trees are. Beautiful. Maggy

• meyermike_1micha
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Brian. MARVELOUS! pal...I love that yard and I am coming for a visist pal..
    Brian, what I am looking for is where everyone's trees are NOW, what they look like and how they are doing in these days of cold now? I'll bet they look just as lovely as they did then))) Thanks buddy
    Please, show us where they are now and how they are.
    Brian, I couldn't help but notice that red plant in the foreground..What is it? I love it.Goodness Brian, I wish those nice warms days were here agin. Lovely.

Happygarden, very good idea about reflective lighting..Where can I get that foil stuff? Your trees are doing good so far. JUst watch for mites)
    Please, let us know how the goldnuggets are when you try them..Thank you. That is one tree I don't have.

Ocelaris...Very nice job...Love the lights and now good they look grouped together. It looks like they are happy thus far. Good work.

Steve, I am so happy you got that area completed..You gave me an idea for the warm side of my house. Nice job.

Maggy, did you ever get that bug problem under control or are you still working on it?
    Where is Cory? I hope she posts some of hers..

Brian, next summer I'll be out for a visit..No need for me to go far for a tropical feel..lol Again, I love it and the planters..I will have to kee my eyes open for some of those too..

More pics and experiences everyone, please..I know there are tons of here that have to bring out trees in from teh cold and short days of sunlight..

MIke

• maggyby
    9 years ago

Mike, I don't have a bug problem. It is Cory that is having the problem.Maggy

• orangelime1
    9 years ago

Pic of tango .

Brian

• orangelime1
    9 years ago

Pic of Shasta Gold this one is going to be a beauty .

Brian

• orangelime1
    9 years ago

Last but not least my minneola tangelo I have many more but these are my fav's.

Brian

• orangelime1
    9 years ago

Hi Mikey how is it going buddy . Mikey we had almost a foot of snow last night it is really nice to look at the summer pics I can almost feel the warm breezes . Mike my plants look just as good now as when they went in . Most of the pics were taken before bringing them in . I know you shop at costco because you love their hot dogs as I do , all the pots were from there . Mikey I have no clue what that red plant is we bought it at a nursery and there was no tag . We asked the employees and they did not know . I brought it in the GH and it is doing fine . I can try making a cutting for you . Wow 2 weeks from now we will be digesting our Christmas supper and later next week we will be gaining daylight gosh time goes fast . Have a great night my friend .

• orangelime1
    9 years ago

Oh Mikey you wanted to see what my GH looked like we'll I can't show you the inside now but I can show you the outside , lovely isn't it . You see it can always be worst . Give your mom a hug for me .

Brian

• maggyby
    9 years ago

OMG Brian, look at all that snow. Hope you are relaxing .Maggy

• orangelime1
    9 years ago

Hi Maggy that is a lot of snow and it's heavy . I guess we can thank Massachusetts for this one that's almost where it developed thx Mike . Maggy did you get any of this mess ? It took me an hour and a half to clean the backyard and driveway and that's with a snowblower . Hope your breathing is better today . It must be a relief that your baking is all done . Taking Sugar for his walk now he is starting to bark at me . It's a lovely night for a walk it's mild tonight only 29 degrees outside . Have a great night my friend .

Brian

• cory (Zone 7a, NJ)
    9 years ago

I keep losing my posts today and have to restart. Everyone's trees look really good even though it is almost winter. Brian, I love looking at your trees as they remind me of those nice warm, sunny, summer days I am already longing for. Your trees are beautiful and so is your yard. You are an inspiration for all us northern citrus growers, especially as you grow them so far north. Ocelaris, I live in northern NJ too. Your trees look great. It is hard to keep them looking so nice during these sunless days.

Cory

• happygarden168
    9 years ago

Mike
    I purchased the reflective film from New England Hydroponics in Massachusetts.
    They also sell Foliage Pro.

• orangelime1
    9 years ago

Hi Mikey and Cory . Thankyou so much Cory that means a lot to me . I feel privileged to be in the midst of some extremely good gardeners . Glad your back Cory I hope everything is going well for you . Mikey I took a pic a couple of weeks ago inside it just looks like a mass of green vegetation . I thought the party was in Puerto Rico lol. Have a great night everyone !!!

Brian

• meyermike_1micha
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Brian. My goodness!!! look at all those lovely trees and then that crappy looking white stuff. I am so lucky not to be going through that just yet. Thank god. My ground is still bare and when the sun is out, it almost feels like spring. I hope we can hold off the snow for another month. It did rain though the other side of that storm you got and we got flooding and downed power lines from the severe winds.
    Thank you for a pic of the inside of the greenhouse and the outside, even though it had snow in it. Lol looking real nice buddy and what another beautiful pic of your trees nice and tall and green. Love them all.
    Brian. Thanks for hooking me up with the pots too

Happy garden , thank you so much. I never heard if that place. It mig even be closer for me than Worms way. I really appreciate that. That reflective stuff is something everyone using lights or has less light than they want should be using. Great stuff!
    I actually put mirrors on most of my walls in my sun room. It makes a huge difference.

Cory, hello )))

Maggy. Thanks. See you at the bugs forums))
    Have you ever considered getting a Satsuma? I want one bad. Lol

• meyermike_1micha
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Brian. My goodness!!! look at all those lovely trees and then that crappy looking white stuff. I am so lucky not to be going through that just yet. Thank god. My ground is still bare and when the sun is out, it almost feels like spring. I hope we can hold off the snow for another month. It did rain though the other side of that storm you got and we got flooding and downed power lines from the severe winds.
    Thank you for a pic of the inside of the greenhouse and the outside, even though it had snow in it. Lol looking real nice buddy and what another beautiful pic of your trees nice and tall and green. Love them all.
    Brian. Thanks for hooking me up with the pots too

Happy garden , thank you so much. I never heard if that place. It mig even be closer for me than Worms way. I really appreciate that. That reflective stuff is something everyone using lights or has less light than they want should be using. Great stuff!
    I actually put mirrors on most of my walls in my sun room. It makes a huge difference.

Cory, hello )))

Maggy. Thanks. See you at the bugs forums))
    Have you ever considered getting a Satsuma? I want one bad. Lol

• mary
    9 years ago

Mike and others, hi! I live in Eastern WA, Cashmere which is right between Leavenworth and Wenatchee (on the Columbia River). It's zone 6b way too cold and I've had these three meyer lemons inside since late september, they are under T5 grow lights. air is dry so I mist.

Poncirusguy - you have a greenhouse that looks made of windows -- I have TON of those old wood framed farmhouse windows in my basement and was thinking of making a greenhouse using them, with pallets on the ground, against the chimney... any tips on the homemade green house project? (I'm not a woodworker but I do have drills, saws, pick up truck... )

As for my 3 meyers, Problems are the flowers all keep just falling off!! - no fruits have ever formed! Also aphids and fungus gnats persist, even though I let the soil get really dry before watering and it's good draining soil. they were really happy outside this summer. I tried neem, now using some other pest spray supposedly safe for veggies and have tried organic soap spray... the gnats are less but aphids persist. We have 300 days sun / year. So many beautiful citrus in all your pix! That's what I want, and want to diversify. What other plants might I start indoors? I also have an HPS ballast and light I can use. Maybe I am fertilizing too much. I'm doing it like once a month, according to instruction.

• poncirusguy6b452xx
    9 years ago

The front panel are made from sliding glass doors. I took the glass out a put each sheet in is own frame. The roof is made of double glazed vinyl windows. I use them as they are. I have a cleat on the house and a cleat on my garage roof. The front panel is set just under the roof panel so that it holds up the roof panel. The front panel has 3 cleats at the edge so that it does not fall inward. I screwed the roof panel down to the front panel and removed the 3 cleats as they are no longer needed. The junctions. are circle in the photo. The key to this is to have the greenhouse joined to the south wall of your house. If it is free standing as most are you will have to provide a lot of heat. In zone 6b it would probably be better to grow in the house under lights. Meyer lemons are small trees and very productive and should do well under lights. I don't because my wife has to many memories stored in the basement and through out the house for me to fine room for any trees.

Are you sure you have 300 day of sun. Even phoenix Arizona does not get 300 days even when you add up every hour. Perhaps that 3 is supposed to be a 1 for 100 days. Cincinnati Oh gets only 81 days

• poncirusguy6b452xx
    9 years ago

The east and west windows are fastened to horizontal 2 by 4's with screws. The triangle area that I have no glass for i filled in with scrap wood as seen in the photo

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    9 years ago

Meyers are ready!

Josh

• mary
    9 years ago

wow Greenman/ Josh I am JEALOUS. Poncirus guy (not sure of your name?) when I looked at various pages for wentachee, they say between "200 and 300" days of sun a year and I think that's due to some very fuzzy definitions! Suffice to say though that East of the Cascades is totally, totally different from the Seattle area, which is less than 200 miles away. Tons of sun like today clear blue skies but hovering at freezing. I read about your quest for energy independence, very cool! As for figs, I did put one IN THE GROUND this summer, it's about 6 feet tall and had 5 figs on it this summer. I so hope it survives. I placed it in a somewhat protected, southern spot. But, it may not. It's a brown turkey fig. I'd like more -- what other strains of citrus and fig are nice for indoors and best sources to find them? All these gnats and aphids indoors are a bummer. What other tree would be nice for the living room, under grow lights?

• poncirusguy6b452xx
    9 years ago

Mary

I misinterpreted WA as being West Virginia and being an easterner I can tell you that West Virginia does not get much sunlight. However seeing that you do get a fantastic amount of sunlight I'll reconsider a greenhouse as you best choice. Where you live the sun rises far north of east or west as it rises and sets. So don't plat to close to a south wall or you wont get sun in the morning and evening. If you have a local garden club they can help you much more with the greenhouse of scrap glass.

Any plant that grows in the winter is prone to pests because there are no predatory insects around to feast on them

Steve

• MileHighGardener
    9 years ago

Heres my Bearss lime looks like its ready fo flower soon here is some new growth and flower buds. Im alsp battling scale but I might have just won the battle who knows only time will tell.

P.S sorry for the neck turns im on a mobile device

• MileHighGardener
    9 years ago

Flower bud

• MileHighGardener
    9 years ago

New growth and some flower buds