Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hoovb

1st 'Cara Cara' of the season

I didn't think it would be ripe but it was quite tasty. A few fell off the tree. Planted around January 2012. This is the 2nd year of fruit. We got about 10 last year. We had terrible and constant heat from the 2nd week in August to the 3rd week in October, apparently the tree enjoyed it.

Comments (9)

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Here is the tree. It is on 'Flying Dragon' root stock. There are only about 30 fruits, but pretty good for a youngster.

• cory (Zone 7a, NJ)
    9 years ago

Very pretty tree and fruit.

Cory

• hoosierquilt USDA 10A Sunset 23 Vista CA
    9 years ago

Wow, hoovb. That is ONE very very happy Cara Cara on FD. Amazingly large and robust. I am so jealous of everyone's Cara Caras. Oddly none for me this year, and I had a ton last year. And they were outstanding.

Patty S.

• axier - Z10, Basque Country (Spain)
    9 years ago

Nice tree! I have one young Cara Cara, no fruits yet.
    Patty, I thought that Cara Cara was not alternant, but it seems as yours is.
    By the way, how long CC stays well on the tree once ripened?

• MrClint
    9 years ago

Looking good, hoovb. I really like the setting.

9 years ago

Axier, it is not. Usually. But, if you let a tree carry too much fruit, and, if you do not pick the fruit quickly (because there is SO much fruit), you can force any citrus tree to alternate bear to some degree. This tree decided to not bear anything this year. And, it is very robust and healthy. I was shocked, frankly, as it has been consistently bearing since I planted it. They can stay on the tree for a couple of months. I've left it on longer, and this is probably what caused it not to bear this year.

Patty S.

• axier - Z10, Basque Country (Spain)
    9 years ago

Thanks Patty.
    What is strange is that suddenly, last year it "decided" enough!
    The good thing is that, probably, it will fruit in abundance next year.
    It is said that with late navel varieties (Lane Late, Rohde, Barnfield, Chislett, Powell...) it is not advisable to leave many ripened fruits after fruit set because it penalizes next year crop.
    I have read in another forum from a home citrus grower of Santa Cruz Mountains (Climate Zone: sunset 15) that he left Lane Late orange even until October, which was in the sweetest point, it was delicious according his words.
    I have a similar climate to Santa Cruz, so probably I will have to leave my late navels several months after fruit set.
    Currently I have one young Chislett tree but I'm thinking in plant two Chislett orange trees and assume and alternate bearing for them.

• Dave in NoVA • N. Virginia • zone 7A
    9 years ago

What a handsome tree that will give and give for many years!

Is that leaf miner damage toward the top?

I hear Cara Cara makes just great juice!

9 years ago

Yes, Axier, in the cooler areas it helps to leave navels on a little longer. I am zone 23, and get just enough coastal influence to moderate my warm summer temps. So, sometimes certain things don't ripen quite as fast as warmer zones. Especially my grapefruits, so I tend to leave them on a bit longer. Valentine pummelo is a really good example. They are supposed to be ready in February, but mine are much better a month later. Rio Red grapefruit as well, and to some degree, my Cara Caras. This weekend I'm going to go back up to my Cara Cara and look harder. The tree is so dense, there could be some fruit hiding that I can't see because they haven't colored up, yet. That happened with my Red Smith Valencia, which I've had in the yard for 4 years, now, with no fruit. Large, super super robust tree, but no fruit. I thought. As I was walking back down my front slope, I happened to glance back at the tree and caught 3 or 4 ripening fruits down at the base of the tree. So, first Red Smith valencias this year from this tree. Looking forward to see how pigmented they are compared to my Moros, Sanguinelli and Taroccos.

Patty S.