Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
zone5er

Meyer Lemon - Overwatered & more...

zone5er
9 years ago

I bought a Dwarf Meyer Lemon about 4 months ago and it was doing quite well, even had a just about to turn lemon. The problems began when I got sick in August and needed a week in the hospital. When I got out it was difficult to do much and so the plant did not get her watering and fertilizing like she should have. But she looked fine regardless. The worst problems started when I got back from a 5 week vacation/recovery, or should I say during my vacation/recovery.

We had a friend stay and watch our house while we were gone and I told them not to overwater, and to never let her stand in water. So they just left her sitting in ~1" of water at all times, did not turn on my grow lamp, nor turn on the heat in the house. Needless to say leaves were dropping all over the place, the fruit turned 60% ripe in under 3 weeks they told me.

I placed her in my South facing window, dried the soil by not watering for a month, and made sure she was in the heater vent wash to keep her warm (placed her ~15' away from the vent with obstacles between as well). She stopped dropping the leaves and still has a few up top but mostly below. Almost 2/3 of the leaves are gone but the branches are all still green.

I am now using the lifting method to determine water content and watering accordingly when she is the proper lightness. I gave her a dose of molasses only one time and do not have plans on that again this Winter unless there is more chlorosis presenting itself.

I also took the precaution this Winter by adding a layer of sand on the surface of my soil so that I can block fungus gnats from breeding and maturing. Works great with a lot of plants that have problems with fungus gnats, and still allows the soil and roots to breathe.

Since that seems to be sorted already I am mostly seeking advice on a good organic fertilizer to use, and when and how long until I can expect to see some regrowth of the leaves? Also will the leaves fill in from the old petiole interface or elsewhere?

I plan to try and find a shallower wider container for this next Spring as well. She needs more room to grow lateral surface roots instead of being cramped into the taller narrower one she is in now. It's a nice pot for another plant to live in though...

If needed I can upload images at another time. Any other advice for growing a Meyer Lemon in a container then please do give me some. Growing one indoors for the Winter is the only way that I can as I live in Leavenworth Washington.

Comment (1)

Sponsored
Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars39 Reviews
Ohio's Kitchen Design Showroom |11x Best of Houzz 2014 - 2022