Return to the Citrus Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Mandarin leaves look sad

Posted by ahajmano Sunset 23 (My Page) on
Sat, Dec 1, 12 at 19:52

Hi all,

I transplanted a golden nugget mandarin two weeks ago, and now the leaves are not looking as bright green as they did before. Please see the attached image. Any ideas?

I used the native soil (clay) mixed with compost, sand and gypsum as soil amendments.

Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Mandarin leaves look sad

Probably just transplant shock; continue to treat it properly and it will recover.

o

Looks like typical spider mite damage, although I can't actually see any in your photo.
Check undersides of leaves - even with a magnifying lens - for any of these tiny insects.
If you think they are present, use an oil spray or buy a chemical miticide to get rid of them.

o

Yep, leaves look stippled as with Spider Mite damage.

Is this plant in a container, or in the ground?

Josh

o

Spider mite damage. Was this tree from Durling Nursery by chance? I see you're zone 23 like me, so wondering if you're in the San Diego or Orange County area? Durling trees sometimes have issues with spider mites. I've often purchased trees with the leftover symptoms, but no active infestation. They treat their trees with Merit, which eliminates Citrus Leafminer, but ends up promoting red citrus mite. But do check underneath the leaves for microscopic red mites and their teeny webs. Neem oil will get rid of them, as well as a miticide. And, don't amend your hole when you plant. If you're on clay, simply plant your citrus on a mound to improve drainage. Amending the hole just ends up with a "bathtub" effect. You're better off top-dressing your trees with compost, then mulch.

Patty S.

o

I'm in Orange County. For the tree at green thumb.

Three was in a container, but is now in the ground. Thanks for all your help.

o

I third the spider mite opinion.

mike

o

Probably from Durlings, then. Just examine the underside of your leaves carefully for spider mites. Treat if necessary. Here is a link showing how to identify spider mites on citrus: http://www.ipm.ucdavis.edu/PMG/C107/m107bpmites.html

And, the link below is how to treat for spider mites.

Patty S.

Here is a link that might be useful: UC IPM: Citrus Red Mite

o

I'm in Orange County. For the tree at green thumb.

Three was in a container, but is now in the ground. Thanks for all your help.

o

What is your plan of action, Ahajmano?

Josh

o

Wow, thanks to this post, now I know what happened to my lime tree, which I grew from seed.

I wash the leaf with water and somehow all those spider mites disappear. I hope they dont come back in the future.

o

I'm going to break out my neem oil and spray pump, but in the meantime the weather is rainy. Need to wait for the tree to dry off first.

Will he foliage recover on its own, or will it lose its leaves?

o

The stippling is permanent, unfortunately.
But in time the tree will replace those blemished leaves.

Josh

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Citrus Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here