Return to the Citrus Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Size of Meyer Lemons ??

Posted by dancinglemons 7B (My Page) on
Wed, Dec 5, 12 at 20:01

Hello again,

I've got 2 Meyer Lemon trees and both bear fruit. However one of my Meyer trees has never gotten taller than 2 feet tall and it bears HUGE lemons and lots of them. These huge Myer lemons are about the size of a large navel orange. I know they are Meyer because of the taste. The shape of these huge Meyer is like a Tangelo with the little 'temple' on the stem end. I can post a photo if that will help. The taller Meyer is about 4 feet tall and bears a modest amount of smaller lemons about the size of apricots.

Anyone here have Meyer that bear very large lemons?? I've only seen small Meyer in the grocer and they are smooth and yellow/orange in color -- my huge Meyer are yellow when mature. The only local person I know who is a citrus grower (in containers) says he has never seen a Meyer like this one. He took some cuttings to grow out because he likes the large lemons. I got the plant from Monrovia nursery several years ago. (5? 6? yrs) BTW this particular Meyer also blooms and holds fruit even when majority of the leaves drop. Could this be a different strain of Meyer?? I know the taller Meyer is on some sort of rootstock because the branches that attempt to grow out of the lower trunk each summer have a "3 leaf" pattern -- which is completely different that the fruit bearing portion of the tree.

I should mention that I grow exclusively in container and put my trees in homemade hoop house over winter.

Thanks,
DL

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Size of Meyer Lemons ??

Well, I suspect you've already hit on the answer - different rootstocks. There are not different Meyer lemon cultivars - all are the Improved Meyer lemon and are basically clones of the original tree. Rootstocks can affect size of tree, productivity, vigor, fruit set and flavor. I would contact Monrovia and ask what rootstock they used for their Meyer lemons 5 to 6 years ago. Photos of both trees would be helpful. Please post close up photos of the leaves and the fruits, and it you can cut a fruit of each in half, too, that would be helpful.

Patty S.

o

Thanks again Patty S. I will get those photos and post them in few days when we get a warm up.

DL

o

• Posted by jkom51 Z9 CA/Sunset 17 (My Page) on
    Thu, Dec 6, 12 at 13:18

Meyers can be surprisingly variable in size, shape, and even color. I have three of them, and one plant occasionally bears massive oval lemons right next to smaller round ones. I picked my first winter 2012 harvest a week ago, and most of them were still partially green in color although fully ripe.

Make sure you feed them properly. They get really hungry during harvest season!

o

The two trees could possibly be on different rootstocks, which can affect the size of the fruit; or they may just have come from different parent stock. Most nurseries use budwood from various trees/sources. My budwood grove and all the trees we sell or plant are genetically identical; there may be some potential downside, but it works for me.

John

o

jkom is correct, the fruit will vary on the tree. My Meyer lemon has round lemons with no nipples, and then the more traditional elongated "lemon" shape with a nipple all on the same tree, this is a trait of the Meyer. But, for two trees with very drastic differences in not only the fruit size and appearance, but also the size of the tree, I suspect you have Meyers on different rootstocks. The small one may be on some sort of dwarfing rootstock, and your other one may be on own roots.

Patty S.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Citrus Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here