Return to the Citrus Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
citrus true from seed

Posted by JAGreen Z6 MI (My Page) on
Tue, Dec 13, 05 at 20:10

Hi all, can anyone tell me what citrus come true from seed. I was planning to get the seed(s) from a grocery store fruit. Yes I know it will take longer before the tree produces any fruit. I was thinking of a grapefruit and/or a lime. In addition, any help with growing from seed would be helpful. Thanks for all the help.

Jessica

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: citrus true from seed

Jessica,
Lots of citrus come "true to seed" esp lime. You will also get 2 seedlings from almost every seed from limes (from my experience with key limes).
Patty

o

Jessica,
Key (a.k.a Indian, West Indian) limes come true from seed. But the bigger, lemon-shaped "Persian" (more correctly 'Tahiti', 'Bearss') limes don't, but that's hard to test since they average fewer than one seed per 1000 fruit. Grapefruit all come true-to-type except for the pink/red fleshed types which have no red blush on the peel (Thompson, Burgundy) -- they will make white-fleshed seedlings. But you seldom see those two in the grocery store anyway. All the other reds/pinks, which make at least a bit of color in the peel, are true-to-type.

o

JA - the only way to go is with the Key (or Mexican) lime seeds. These come true-to-type nearly 100% of the time. Under ideal conditions, a key lime seed can grow into a blooming tree in about 2 1/2 years, although 4 years is more likely. I have grow many key lime trees from seed. One is four years old now and about 10 feet tall. This year it produced thousands upon thousands of limes! Only grow the "thornless" variety if you have the option.

I have also grown grapefruit from seed - bad idea. They are extremely thorny and will not flower until they are 15-20 feet tall. I ended up grafting all of mine, and the results are extremely impressive.

o

Here's a photo of one of my key lime trees (thornless and grown from seed):

I used a key lime - that I grew from seed - as the rootstock for this Bearss lime:

o

Ocean, your citrus are beautiful. I like the bottom one shaped like a standard, but both are gorgeous. I envy ppl able to grow citrus outdoors..Toni

o

Oceanmdx,
I remember your pics of your lime tree from almost 3 yrs. ago.
MY, IT GREW big!! Is that the same Blue Agave plant in forground? Nice to see you here again after all this time!
Email me please. I was near you in Mx this year... have some good info for you.
Patty

o

Yes, it's the same blue agave and thanks for the welcome back.

o

those certainly are BEAUTIFUL trees! Did I read that right? That lime tree grew to that size from seed in just 4 years?!

wow i guess the advantages to inground growing, far exceed the container types.

o

It could be 4 1/2 years old - I don't remember the exact date that I planted it. However, I have found that planting in the ground greatly increased the rate of growth. Where I am there is no risk of frost either.

o

How about pomelos ? what is the largest stain ?and what have they been hybridized with ?

o

Hi,

I'm bumping this thread up instead of making a new one. I've been trying to germinate keylimes (the kind you buy in the little sac) and I am having zero luck.

I used to do this as a kid and they always germinated. I've given them warmth and mositure...but it seems something is missing.

Also, is there a way to guess or know whether your KL will be thornless before they sow? TIA for any help.

MBT

o

I germinated seeds easy this summer, but harder this winter, Ive had a few dry-outs, and some damping off.

if you can get a waterproof buffet warmer thing, or the top of a fridge, or a heating pad that has been covered with a plastic bag or something (and water away from the electricity!) it should help. Ive got one healthy Yuzu up right now, and a few others are trying.

Since Key limes are available all year, you might just wait till its warmer and more humid outside.

many citrus from seed are thorny, just something youll have to live with :-) good luck!

o

Dear citrus growers,
Can somebody help me with my little misunderstanding of polyembrionic seedlings? OK, i have planted 6 meiwa kumquat seeds and got nice 5 sprouts after 3 weeks. Of all seedlings 3 of them have double stem plants coming out of one seed, while remaining 2 sprouts have a single stem.
My question is: Is it true that only double stem seedlings will actually develop into fruiting trees and are true to type, while single stem trees won't bear any fruits?

In addition, do i have to grow both stems together or should i separate them in future in order to achive nicer single stem tree instead of growing them together which doesn't look so appealing.
I hope to hear back from many people. Tony and Millet, can you give me some good advice please?
Truckloads of thanks,
Anton

o

Hello All,

I am a new gardner, and I am having a hard time finding citrus trees for sale in my area. I decided to try to sprout the seeds from store bought lemons. I am just wanting to get any advice or help that I can.

How long after potting the seed should I expect sprouts?

How long after that sould I expect fruit?

I just want to make sure I am doing everything possible to achieve success.

Thank you,
Christi Albright

o

Hi Christi--

Can take many weeks to sprout from seed, and I find that it varies depending on what you're growing. What seems to really help is heat--you can use a seedling mat or whatnot; I plant into peat and use a desklamp with a 40 watt bulb over it as a heat source. Works fine. I had planted some and left them in a windowsill in the fall, and I would say it took a good 60-90 days to sprout.

I don't have any experience with fruit grown from seed, apparently many citrus *can* take many years to flower and fruit--there is info on this forum for that--though Key limes and calamondins can be more rapid, flowering in a couple of years. So you may want to try either of those.

If you want a plant that can fruit quickly and don't want to mail-order, you can see if you can get hold of a cutting from a mature tree in a trade or something--then root it and it should be able to flower relatively quickly.

HTH.

o

Anton_grower:
I look at your webpage but you have no email listed so I can send you an email.
If you can , please send me an email regarding your querry.
I have some good news for you to answer your question.
Millet does not log in here anymore.

Benny
My email is bencelest@sbc(minus the dots).....global.net

o

About ten years ago I planted 20 Dancy tangerines from seed. Today the trees are 12 to 15 feet tall and have the tastiest fruit and I have been harvesting fruit for about five years. One way to tell if you can get citrus to come true from seed it take off the seed coat and look to see if there are several little seed parts making up the total, if so you can get several trees from one seed. The large main part of the seed is a product of pollination and may not come true from seed.
Plant the seed from the fruit you want to grow. Select the ones from the smaller seed parts to transplant.
Or, plant your seeds and then transplant only the seeds that had several sprouting trees. For example say one seed has four sprouting trees. Plant all four, you will get three identical trees that have come true from seed and one that may not.

o

Greetings All,

A new member of forum. Happy-New Year to all. I had a follow-up question to this topic of true-from-seed citrus.
I have two-year old citruses -- all store-bought fruit. Which ones are true-from-seed. I'd really appreciate your inputs.

TANGERINE
Fallglo/Cleopatra
Honey/Murcott (sp)
Sunburst

TANGELO
Minneola/Honeybell
Nova/Orlando

ORANGE
Trifoliate
Sweet Orange

POMELO
Reinking
Shaddock

LEMON
Meyer
"Large" common lemon (perhaps Eureka) - looks like a citron.
"Tropical"

Palestianian Sweet Lime
Meiwa Kumquat
Jamaican Ugli
Calamondin
Mini Honey Mandarin

if I can get a Ponderosa, I'd end it at there haha

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Citrus Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here