Return to the Citrus Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Buying citrus rootstock

Posted by sk290 9b (sk290@yahoo.com) on
Wed, Dec 16, 09 at 20:21

Does anybody knows where rootstocks can be purchased on a retail basis? Everyone I looked up on line only sells in quantity to growers. I just wanted about 1 or 2 to try my hand at grafting.

I'm in So. Cal and a local vendor would probably be better but anyone anywhere would be great too. Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Sandra
Dana Point, CA - zone 9b

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Buying citrus rootstock

Treesource will sell all varieties in small quantities but you have to go through the same process as comercial growers-contracts and a six month wait while they custom grow it.
You might also try growing rootstock from suckers of available citrus trees and grafting onto that.

o

Someone in the fruit forum suggested that I buy a little cheap citrus at Home Depot and graft onto it. I'll try that and see how it works.

Wonder why it's so hard to find citrus rootstock (?)

Thanks! :)

Sandra

o

Yes, Sandra. Both Lowes and HD carry these semi-dwarf citrus for $10-12 and you can practice grafting on them. You can get the Flying Dragon seeds and sprout them to get rootstock :) Good luck.

o

Sand Mountain Herbs has seeds for Poncirus trifoliata - a few bucks for 25(?) seeds and they include instructions for sowing. Great rootstock if your soil isn't salty.
I plan to sow rootstock right inna ground and graft onto them. I want to raise a dozen varieties with different harvest dates. Grafting onto rootstock is the only way I will be able to afford all that variety.

Here is a link that might be useful: Trifoliate Seeds

o

• Posted by sk290 9b Dana Point, CA (My Page) on
    Mon, Jan 11, 10 at 1:03

Hmmm, I've never considered growing the rootstock from seeds. That would probably take much longer than I would like to wait. I want fruit now! lol

turtleman,

I didn't see roostocks listed in your site... got any?

Sandra

o

Yeah I think theres about 850 tall pots of Trifoliate and around 8000 of Seville Orange, I never added them to the site because most people always wanted a finished tree/liner

o

turtleman49 how much are these Seville Orange rootstocks?

o

I would like to purchase poncirus trifoliata rootstock (one year old) and would like to purchase 2000 poncirus trifoliata seeds

o

"Hmmm, I've never considered growing the rootstock from seeds. That would probably take much longer than I would like to wait. I want fruit now!"

LOL, me, too. But check out micro-budding. A single bud is cleft-grafted onto a VERY young rootstock (that a few weeks before was a seed).

Here is a link that might be useful: produce fruit in two years from rootstock seed

o

The reason citrus rootstock is hard to get is the demand for them retail is almost nil. Mostly wholesale growers would be buying them or seed by the quart.

o

turtleman,
I'm resurrecting this older thread because I'm going to try my hand and some grafting. I'm hoping (crossing my fingers) to be able to get some Xie Shan and Ugli budwood from CCPP this June. And some third variety I have yet to decide upon. I've never grafted before, so this will be my first attempt. So, I'm trying to find good rootstock for my S. California area. Can you ship to California (I know there's talk of quarantine for AZ.) I will probably only have 36 total budwoods (3 varieties, 12 pieces). So, small order, but I'd sure like to try my hand at this.

Patty S.

o

For Seville Sour orange seed try a large Latino grocery.
It may bee too late now since they may be sprouted inside the fruit already.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Citrus Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here