Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gcmastiffs

Tangerine fruit question

gcmastiffs
18 years ago

What causes the dry spots/sections in tangerine fruits? I picked a green Dancy today(supposed to be ripe Dec-Feb) and it already had dry spots in the fruit. I know color is not a good indicator of ripeness in S. Florida, so I decided to pick one of the nice sized fruits. It felt rather light in my hand. Not dense like a grapefruit. About a third of it was inedible because of the dry areas in the sections.

My oldest Tangerine tree (variety unknown) has shockingly bright-orange, heavy, juicy fruit that have no dry spots. This is the first time in at least 8 years that it has had such colored-up fruit. They usually stay greenish. All the trees were badly beaten by hurricanes in the past two years. I have no idea why this one tree is so flashy this year(G).

Am I picking to early or too late as far as the dry fruits? A watering problem? The Dancy is potted, the others are in the ground. I have only tried the two types so far, but have eaten lots of the unknown ones in the past month. They do not have a zipper skin like the Dancy. I have Murcotts and Satsumas - have not picked them yet, they don't look or feel ready.

I've seen the dry, ligher colored areas in purchased fruit too before. How can this be prevented?

Lisa

Comments (7)

• gatormomx2
    18 years ago

I have tangerines and oranges with the same problem - dry sections . Someone told me that this happens when the fruit is first setting and the ground is too dry . Not sure if this is true but makes sense .
    My Satsumas are super ripe now . They are the best ever - amazingly juicy and sweet this year . My trees have been in the ground ten years or more . Last year they were awful - maybe due to hurricanes ? With 22 trees , I just move on until I find good fruit and enjoy .

• gcmastiffs
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Okay, Gatormom, I'll go pick a green Satsuma today for a breakfast treat. I loved them last year-they were superb. But I picked them in September, and last year's heavy producer has no fruit this year. Only my smaller, in-ground Satsuma trees have a few now-most were blown off.

This year, the Ruby Red Grapefruits are wonderfully sweet.

I had to remove my Pumello fruits the day before Wilma, so my little tree wasn't split. It sure hurt to not get to taste those awesome fruits!

I'd really like to know how to prevent the dry sections, I hate to waste fruit!

How is your Persian Lime treating you? A pine tree fell on one of mine and crushed it, but it is recovering and blooming.

Lisa

• malcolm_manners
    18 years ago

'Dancy' is susceptible to making dry sections, as is its daughter 'Minneola'. Several factors contribute to it:
    1. Picking the fruit too late in the season
    2. Young tree (it improves with age)
    3. Too much N fertilizer throughout the season
    4. Rootstock has an effect (fast-growing, vigorous rootstocks make the problem worse in the first few years of the tree's life).

Assuming yours is a young tree, it may just need some time to grow up.

• gcmastiffs
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thank you very much M. Manners! It *is* a young tree, this is its first year bearing. I have young Minneolas too, will know to not be surprised by dryness there, thanks to your info.

Lisa

• softmentor
    18 years ago

In our area, (very hot summers) the main reason for dry fruit is summer stress. The fruit will look nice and keep on growing, but the stress it encounters will produce dry fruit when ripe. The dry parts tend to be worse at the top and bottom of the fruit. This is much worse for young trees, especially the first 2 or 3 years that it has some crop. Satsuma are the most sensitive to summer heat (as are many oranges and pummelo). Many other tangerines love the heat though. Grapefruit loves the summer heat the most. Even the most heat loving still stress the first 2 years, and improve as the years go by.
    Arthur the Date Palm Guy

• gatormomx2
    18 years ago

Hmmmm- great advice but I still don't understand why one of my
    mature tangerine trees and one of my older orange trees are producing dry fruit .
    It is early in the season - not too late .
    The trees are ten or more years old .
    Used citrus fertilizer sparingly .
    Old rootstock so no vigorous growth .
    Very hot summers with tons of rain- yes !
    My Persian lime produced one magnificent lime that was out of this world with flavor .
    Can't wait for more fruit in the future . Sorry a pine tree fell on yours - how sad ! Happy New Year !

• softmentor
    18 years ago

stress
    Arthur the Date Palm Guy