Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gregbradley

Guess I'll have to keep this Lemon

gregbradley
10 years ago

I've been gradually resurrecting the 60+ year old grove that was in my back backyard along with the trees planted by the original homeowner 40+ years ago. One stump was a bit too close to my unknown white grapefruit but I figured I would let it grow until the next tree filled in.

It is only 6' tall and consists of 3 trunks each less than 1" diameter growing out of a 8" diameter trunk from the ground but it is clearly benefitting from the soil amendments, fertilizer, water, and mulch that I am putting on the neighboring trees. Here is one branch with less than a dozen leaves and 7 big lemons growing. The last batch to mature looked and tasted exactly like a Eureka but I really don't know. Is it lemon rootstock or did somebody plant a lemon and then cut it down before I bought the house 15 years ago?

I do know it seems REALLY happy!

This post was edited by GregBradley on Mon, Dec 23, 13 at 21:00

Comment (1)

• hoosierquilt USDA 10A Sunset 23 Vista CA
    10 years ago

No, that's not lemon rootstock. That's a lemon, and it does look like Eureka. Very lovely, Greg! Eurekas tend to produce in clusters on the outside of the canopy. So nice you left it to recover. It is rewarding you with some very nice lemons!

Patty S.