Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
milehighgardener

Question about Bearss Lime flower pollination

MileHighGardener
9 years ago

i read a post earlier where someone asked a similar question except it was a Meyer Lemon. Johnmerr said Meyer flowers are perfect flowers so they do not require pollination my question is would this also apply to the Bearss lime? And if so what would happan if it were pollinated seeds?

Mile

Comments (11)

• Hermitian
    9 years ago

All Citrus I know of are self-fertile, including Bearss Lime.

Regarding "what would happen if it were pollinated" ... cross pollination does not affect current growth or fruit, but rather the offspring.

• hoosierquilt USDA 10A Sunset 23 Vista CA
    9 years ago

Most citrus are parthenocarpic, Milehigh, which means they have the ability to produce fruit without the need for pollination. And, if your Bearss lime tree flowers were pollinated, you'd have seeds. Those seeds would be polyembryonic, which means "many embryos". Some embryos are clone embryos - in other words the embryo is derived from the mother germ cells, thus producing an exact clone of the mother tree (hence the term, "comes true from seed"). Those embryos are the stronger of the two possible embryos - clones vs hybrids - and will sprout first. The hybrid (cross-pollinated) embryos that develop from the mother germ cells and the father pollen cells are hybrids and will sprout later. So, if you're growing seeds that are polyembryonic, you want to keep the first stronger seedling sprouts, then remove the later weaker hybrid sprouts (unless you want to try to grow an unknown hybrid).

Having seeds will not affect the quality of the fruit. Just perhaps more annoying to deal with, but that's about it.

Patty S.

• MileHighGardener
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks Guys! appreciate the help. Interesting stuff Patty! i learned something new today thanks once again.

• citrange2
    9 years ago

"And, if your Bearss lime tree flowers were pollinated, you'd have seeds."
    Patty's replies are always excellent, but this time a section is a bit misleading.
    This variety is often known as Bears Seedless Lime. I once read that someone checked several hundred fruits before finding one seed. So whatever happens to the flowers, you don't get seeds.
    The citrus bible called 'The Citrus Industry, Vol.1' says
    The flowers are devoid of viable pollen also, contain exceedingly few functional ovules, and the fruits are regularly seedless. The Bearss variety is triploid in its genetic constitution (Bacchi, 1940). Moreover, the comparatively rare seeds which occur are highly monoembryonic also.

• mary
    9 years ago

so...is a plant like this genetically engineered? or does this happen in nature, forgive my ignorance? (I know that "genetic engineering" can occur naturally, like gregor mendel and his sweet peas, so I guess I mean, the kind of more advance genetic monkeying that happens in a lab and not really in nature?)

• citrange2
    9 years ago

Like most citrus, the result of selection by people of the best varieties over thousands of years. Genetic changes by cross-breeding or mutation are perfectly natural processes. In nature, a sterile seedless variety would disappear, but if we find it, like it, and propagate it by cuttings or grafting - then it continues to exist.

• MileHighGardener
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Citrange this is getting really interesting!. I did some research and the Bearss Lime is a hybrid fruit most likely crossed from a key lime x lemon or a citron. and was named after John T. Bearss hence the name "Bearss" so as you mentioned the Bearss lacks viable pollen so in turn pollination does not occur. My question is what would happen if i were to pollenate a Bearss flower with another citrus cultivator would i have just created a new Hybrid with seeds? You also mentioned that every once in a while a seed may occur in a lime how does that happen? You are also right on people selecting the best varieties. Humans have artificially selected the Bearss Lime so that is why it continues to live. just as modern corn does. Corn cannot grow in the wild and depends on humans for its survival which is also an example of artificial selection.

9 years ago

Citrange, you are correct. Bearss is nearly completely seedless. I do still get a rare seed or two but that's because of all the variety of citrus in my yard (Mike, the seeds are often malformed and devoid of germinal material, almost just the hull). The only other fruit more devoid of seeds for me is the Seedless Kishu (aptly named). I have never found even one seed in one, yet. Sorry, was not paying attention. I had a week like none other last week. But for a good cause - we opened our doors (and our yard) to over 1,200 people for the 28th Annual Vista Community Clinic Holiday Homes Tour. It raises money for their Kare for Kids Fund which allows the clinic to never turn a child away for lack of funds. I am still trying to recover.

Patty S.

• MileHighGardener
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Its okay Patty we all make mistakes at times. Hope your doing well.

Mile.

• Hermitian
    9 years ago

In my experience, Bearss Lime is easily pollinated, my suspicion is my Eureka Lemon.

9 years ago

Mile, I'm amazingly still exhausted. Guess old age is creeping up on me :-) The thought of winter pruning 65 stone fruit trees and applying the PLC spray this weekend is becoming less and less appealing, lol!! My logic is correct, just not with Bearss as it will not produce seeds or, will do so extremely poorly. Which is one of the attractive qualities of this cultivar. Along with extremely juicy and large fruits.

Patty S.