Return to the Citrus Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
My In Ground Meyer Lemon is sick

Posted by pati_olson 9B Bullhead City, AZ (My Page) on
Sat, Dec 21, 13 at 21:29

This is my first post so hopefully the photos will show.

My 10 year in the ground Meyer Lemon is not doing well. I have to admit that for the last year it has been neglected. I was taking care of my husband and did not have time to garden.

I have seen lots of white flies skittering about. It is on an automatic drip line.

Would appreciate any feedback.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: My In Ground Meyer Lemon is sick

I would guess underfed, mites, maybe aphids/ants; and because you are in AZ, maybe insufficient water combined with too much heat. All these issues are fixable.

o

Well, if you shake the tree, and lots of little white flies fly away, it's probably Citrus Wwhitefly infestation. I can't see the leaves on the branch in the foreground, but it also looks to me like you may also have had some Citrus Leafminer damage as well. If you search the UC IPM site you'll see treatment for Citrus Leafminer as well. The best treatment for Whitefly is a hard blast of water, followed by either an application of Neem Oil, taking care to cover the undersides of the leaves, or, insecticidal soap, applies to the undersides of the leaves. You may have to repeat this several times. I would look carefully around your yard to see where else the whiteflies might be hiding, and treat those plants as well.

Patty S.

Here is a link that might be useful: UC IPM: Whitefly

o

Thanks Patty, here is a photo of the lemon tree next to my Meyer. It doesn't have the yellowing but the leaves are quite distorted. It also has little white flies or whatever they are flying around it.

I sprayed them both this evening with insecticidal soap.

I will do a search for leaf miner but not sure what the UC IPM site is?

Thanks, Pati

o

Click on the link and you sill discover that the information is from UC (University of California).

o

Pati, as Jean mentioned, click on the link I provided you in my previous post. This will bring you to the UC IPM (University of California Integrated Pest Management) site, specifically their page on dealing with Whitefly. You can also search their site for information on Citrus Leafminer. Or, search our forum, as we've posted about this nuisance pest many times.

Patty S.

o

I have one word for you, oops sorry, its two words:

Worm Castings !

Sprinkle a whole 10 or 15 lb bag under there now, work it in an inch or two. It takes a while to get into the leaves so it doesn't taste good to them any more. In two months if you have some extra money, do another bag. Nothing about it can hurt, it can only help ! I had the same problem last year. My tree became more susceptible because the neighbor behind us planted a tree too close to the fence and it grew over my lemon, reducing air circulation. So now I have to baby it. But Meyers are SO worth it !
Sorry I don't have a nice pic of my Meyers on my blog. Have to take one tomorrow !

Here is a link that might be useful: An Artists Garden in So Cal

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Citrus Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here