Return to the Citrus Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Guestion for citrus gurus

Posted by foolishpleasure 7B (My Page) on
Sat, Dec 8, 12 at 21:32

Do citrus trees require chill hours? I know most of the stone fruits require chill hours even Grapes does. Figs were debated since Figs prosper in mediterranean weather climate like Turky and Egypt even some people still think Figs needs chill hours. I am newbie when it comes to citrus.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Guestion for citrus gurus

No. No chill hours needed. Think of citrus in the same category as avocados, mangos, papayas, guavas, bananas. However, in order for citrus to color up, they do require cooler nights to warmer days. Citrus growing in very tropical conditions, where there is little variance between day and night temps will stay green or mostly green, even when fully ripe. And figs do not need chill hours either. I grow many varieties of figs (although not quite the number of citrus varieties I grow). No chill hours needed for my figs (although I do get some chill hours here where I live). Figs will tolerate colder temps, and drop leaves and go dormant as a protective mechanism against colder temps, but it is not necessary for figs to receive chill hours in order to do well and fruit. Most grape cultivars do not need more than 150 chill hours. Some cultivars need essentially no chill hours. Other cultivars do better with some chill hours to sweeten up and develop a high enough sugar content for winemaking/eating.

Patty S.

Here is a link that might be useful: http://homeorchard.ucdavis.edu/8261.pdf

o
RE: Guestion for citrus gurus

Thanks Patty
It is nice to know that Citrus do not need chill hours. You are right Figs do not need chill hours because it is a warm climate fruit. If the weather is right the tree does not need to go in dormancy. I kept 2 little fig trees from air-layering inside the house they stayed green all year long.
Abe

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Citrus Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here