Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
queensinfo

Losing leaves like crazy

queensinfo
10 years ago

Unfortunately my meyer is losing leaves like crazy, which is disheartening since it grew fantastic this year. Also, out of hundreds of flowers I may end up with 2 or 3 lemons. They have all been dropping too. I stepped down the light when bringing it in so I wonder if it is too cold in the corner it is in or if it is still due to light. Is there any way to tell? I don't think it is water as I have been careful about it. Any ideas or suggestions?

Comments (13)

• poncirusguy6b452xx
    10 years ago

Check to see if the leaves falling are older leaves possibly spent leaves. From what I can see it looks like the newer leaves are remaining.intact.

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    10 years ago

Change in conditions - light, temp primarily. Meyer's are notorious for this. Number One question at this Forum.

Check also for any sign of spider mites.

Josh

• queensinfo
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Small signs of scale. Def older leaves falling but now working its way into more recent leaves. Will the leaves re-grow in the interior of the tree or will I need to prune.

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    10 years ago

With enough light and nutrients, the interior of the tree will re-leaf, yes. Tip-pruning after the last chance of frost will help encourage back-budding.

Josh

• johnmerr
    10 years ago

when you dramatically change the light conditions a Meyer will drop most, if not all its leaves, to replace them later with leaves better suited to the new light conditions. To move a Meyer from outside to inside without the leaf loss, you need to move it from full sun to partial sun for 2 weeks; then to full shade for 2 weeks; then indoors; reverse the process when putting it out in the Spring

• meyermike_1micha
    10 years ago

I am assuming you have had the plant in the house for quite some time now? And also did the steps that John and Josh described?

If so, then I would definitely take a second look at the plant for mites and or scale...I would also keep a close eye on your moisture in the mix if the light is much less..

It will loose leaves on the two occasions but also if given to little light in a warm setting...

Please let us know what you have done or discovered...

Mike

• queensinfo
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Plant has been in the house at least a month. I followed john's directions for stepping down light levels. Frustrated cause still dropping leaves. I will treat with neem and see if that helps

• jrl1265
    10 years ago

Whats the temperature of the soil? I keep mine around 70 deg. f and have never had leaf drop. I use a digital meat thermometer and measure the temps several times a day. Good luck, Jack

• queensinfo
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Probably cooler than that it is against an external back door and next to a cold brick wall (it is in my kitchen). It isn't too far from the heater but I bet it gets pretty cool overnight. I may move it but it would get a little less light. I'll give that a try.

• meyermike_1micha
    10 years ago

If the roots are kept warm, more light is very much welcomed..

If the roots are kept cool, less light is much appreciated..

This applies to indoor trees but not sure about outdoor ones..

Mike

• queensinfo
    Original Author
    10 years ago

now i noticed some wet areas on higher up leaves and sure enough i have what i think is scale. Thankfully it will be above 50 this weekend so i will probably bring outside and spray with neem. The tree looks ridiculous now with most all of the lower leaves gone. Also from hundreds of flowers, i think there is

• queensinfo
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I have treated once on 12/21 or 12/22. I am still seing new scale here and there and scrape off what i see each night.

Now some of the bottom branches are beggining to die. Looks like they are drying up from the tip towards the main branches. These are prevalent on the branches that had big clusters of flowers/tiny fruit previously.

Should i prune the dead branches off? These are nowhere near where i have been finding the scale (which have been closer to where there are still leaves). I have been so concerned about overwatering, i may have let it get too dry a few weeks ago. also, the soil temps may be a little cold but the only place to move it will have less light.
    Any advice?

you can see two examples in this pic. Although the branch looks greenish in the picture, it is brown for about 10 inches if not more. The next picture will have the area where it has died back to.

• queensinfo
    Original Author
    10 years ago

pic 2