Dancy mandarin??

• hoosierquilt USDA 10A Sunset 23 Vista CA
    10 years ago

A satsuma? Armstrong maybe??

Patty S.

• mksmth zone 7a Tulsa Oklahoma
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Patty. you are correct. I figured you would recognize them. All three are Armstrong from the same tree. Quite interesting how they are so different. Strangely the fruit is about the same size but quality is better in the more normal shaped and size fruits. the smaller one tasted much better than then others. Here is cross section of the large odd shaped one.
    Mike

• meyermike_1micha
    10 years ago

Mike..Are they sweet and juicy?

They look so good buddy...Great job!

Hope you are not freezing like us here...

Mike

Original Author
    10 years ago

Hey mike. yes they are. Lacking a bit in flavor but otherwise good. we have had snow on the ground for a few days and haven't been above freezing since last Wednesday. Had a couple overnight lows down to 4. How have you been?

Mike

• meyermike_1micha
    10 years ago

My goodenss MIke! 4 degrees?

Was it always like that in the area where you live?
    I swear someone has opened the gates of Siberia or the North Pole on the states this year..It's rather strange to be this cold so early in the season..Then very warm for years prior..Makes no sense to me...

I've been ok..Just very busy remodeling my home and I am not spending teh time with my trees as I should...I have not even sprayed them to prevent pests which scares me...I just water them and then leave the area where they are. I don't even know if any of them are budding up..

I think I will get much needed rest come Christmas time and do all that I have slipped behind on..
    The weather here has not been as cold as you yet, thank goodness...I am just about done covering the pond and making a spare SUN room..Yes that's right..Lol
    Yet another area for another tree...

I am hoping you are ok these days..How are your trees doing with this cold and have you been vigilant on pests thus far? How's the greenhouse staying warm with that cold?
    Ouch!

MIke

This post was edited by meyermike_1micha on Sun, Dec 8, 13 at 13:26

• Dave in NoVA • N. Virginia • zone 7A
    10 years ago

My Armstrongs were very tasty this year. Acid mixed with sweet = a great combination! Had bout 15 on the small tree. I picked the first one just a bit too early, but the others sweetened up after a few weeks.

Stan McKenzie says just a bit of very light frost often sweetens them up more. I did not want to risk it and moved the plant into the garage!

Original Author
    10 years ago

Mike. we typically get a week or two of these kinds of colds. The last 2 years we didn't but yes this can be close to normal.

Dave. I'm glad to hear youes are good. I was to afraid to let mine see frost also. Maybe next year I'll let them see some high 30's.

Mike

• hoosierquilt USDA 10A Sunset 23 Vista CA
    10 years ago

Mike, 4 degrees. That's horrifying. But Armstrong is a really great, great choice for a satsuma with these conditions. Same with Gold Nugget, another worthy choice if you are in a marginal in-ground zone. Young satsumas will display this odd appearance on occasion, especially in their first few years of production, and if you have swings in your watering levels. But glad the odd looking ones are tasting good for you, Mike! A testimony to your doing such a fine job with your citrus.

Patty S.