Return to the Citrus Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
ID this tree?

Posted by SavannahIndigo GA (My Page) on
Thu, Dec 6, 12 at 21:48

Hi all,
I bought a home this summer with a citrus tree in the front yard. Yesterday I noticed some fruit so I'm hoping to find out what this is now. It's a tall and up right tree, narrow with spikes on trunk and new growth dark green shiny leaves. It's about 20 feet tall I would guesstimate, but does not spread out much. The fruit is small, golf ball size or a tad bigger, orange and round, like and orange shape. The only fruit is at the very top of the tree so I'll need to get a latter to get a better look at it.

Any ideas?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: ID this tree?

Okay, completely impossible to ID a tree without a series of good photos, savannah. You'll need to post up a photo of the tree, close up of the leaves and fruit, and of the trunk to see if you can see or identify the graft line (so we can tell you if what you've got is actually a grafted citrus tree, or just rootstock that has taken over, which is my suspicion based on your description.) You can load up your photos to www.photobucket.com, then copy and paste each of the photo's HTML codes into the body of your message. You'll know you've done this correctly as the photos will show up when you click on "Preview Message". If not, be sure you're copying and pasting in the HTML code, and not one of the other code strings.

Patty S.

o

Photos, photos, photos.... we can't see what you see. Photos of the tree, close-ups of fruit and leaves and inside of fruit; with those pictures someone here can give you a pretty good guess.

Likely this time of year, small orange fruits, it is some sort of mandarin. Taste it and add your impressions to your thread.

Without further info, you get no more than a SWAG (Scientific Wild Assed Guess).

o

Thanks I tried to take some pics today but the fruit is too high to get a good look at. I may be able to go on the roof, it's very close to the house.
What am I looking for as far as graft line? Is grafted more desirable than a seedling?

o

Don't fight the problem... post the photos, THEN ask the questions. We do this for free; we don't charge nothing.
Sometimes, we learn something new... that is why I am here; others may have different reasons.

John

o

Well, most often the answer would be "yes", a grafted tree is more desirable, as you've got the best of both: a rootstock that should be designed to do well in your area, and impart particular qualities to your tree that will make it less susceptible to diseases, more tolerant to a variety of soil conditions, and possibly regulate the height and size of your tree. But, some citrus do just fine on their own roots (the Meyer lemon would be one of those). The reason I ask, is to see if perhaps the scion (the grafted variety) has died, and now all you're looking at is the rootstock, which for the most part produce inedible fruit. As John has said, we're just taking wild guesses right now, until we can see the tree. But, based on what you've described, it does sound like either you've got a seedling tree, or more likely, just the rootstock growing.

Patty S.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Citrus Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here