Return to the Citrus Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Some winter picks from Northwest Florida

Posted by jaybird3316 FL 9 (My Page) on
Mon, Dec 13, 10 at 22:22

It's been 30's and 40's at night, but tonight, we just dropped to the lower 20's today in northwest florida. Just a few picks of some winter protection. Merry Christmas (old C9 bulbs - inefficient as heck but nice and warming)

Christmas HB Pummelo

Photobucket

Christmas Meyer Lemon

Photobucket

Ambersweet orange - I added a little metal frame around this and then at night drape with visqueen and tuck under teh straw bales - seems to be working.

Photobucket

Bad picture sorry, but this is a portable greenhouse I found at Lowes. Pretty easy to assemble. Just add a flood light in there at night and zip up - potted citrus seem to be surviving.

Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Some winter picks from Northwest Florida

Great job! And nice pics. I'll keep my fingers crossed for all you Floridians.

I just learned yesterday that some of the newer C-9 bulbs are actually efficient....meaning less heat energy.
For anyone out there purchasing bulbs, be sure to check the information (efficiency ratings).

Josh

o

I hate that you guys are getting all the cold. We have been in the 20's at night for weeks, but thats normal. I saw lows in the 30's for Miami, burrrr. Anyways at least your trees are in the spirit of the season.

Just for reference C9 are 7 watts each and C7 are 5 watts each, more watts equals more heat

Below is a link to a thread over in the tropical fruit forum where some of your neighbors have made some very cool frost protection.

good luck
Mike

Here is a link that might be useful: frost protection

o

Some of the newer C-9 bulbs are putting out about 1 watt now, so be sure to check!

Josh

o

So sorry for all of you Northwest Florida citrus growers.
Last year we, here on the Texas coast had, what you are suffering. I was just on the interactive weather map looking over the temps and got that sickening feeling when tomorrow night forecast temps down south to Lakeland read mid to low twenties.

If you cannot get electric power to your trees try to get water on the ground. There is a lot of heat in water. If
your tree is small and can be covered, a garbage can of water placed under the cover will probably keep it from
freezing one night. Refill with tap water tomorrow if it stays cold all day. As the water freezes, it gives off
heat and helps hold the tree above the dreaded 23 deg F.

Such a scheme works on temperate citrus like oranges and mandarines and grapefruit but tropicals like limes may
not be warmed enough.

Larry

o

Jaybird:

Not only are your trees pretty, but they look might warm too..Good idea..

Hi: Josh and Mike!!

Larry: Thanks for thes esuggestions..I thought I read something like this the other dayy..You are right and I will share this with my friends in Florida..

Thank you

Mike

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Citrus Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here