Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
reptileaddiction24

At What Point Do I Protect

ReptileAddiction
10 years ago

So I have a recently planted (3 weeks ago) meyer lemon (the one I asked about the graft line) anyway next monday it is supposed to get down to 36 so should I cover it? If I need to I will put some stakes in so I can just throw something over if I need to. I normally would not worry about it but since it is such a new tree and such a small tree I am thinking that it might help it just perform better this winter if I cover it overnight. Thanks guys!

Comments (17)

• poncirusguy6b452xx
    10 years ago

I cover mine when the temperature drops that low. I figure it this way. I got a lot of time invested in the tree and my soil mix to take chances. I have annuals I leave out but not my citrus. Next year when your tree is established you can be more relaxed.

• ReptileAddiction
    Original Author
    10 years ago

That is what I was thinking. Do you think I should spend the money and get frost blanket shipped to me or should I just use an old sheet? It is a small tree so over the next few days I will put some stakes in to support whatever I decide to cover with.

• johnmerr
    10 years ago

At 36, if it makes you feel protective, throw a light blanket or sheet, or whatever over the tree. 36F will not damage many citrus; but the tree might do better if it "feels" you care about it.

• ReptileAddiction
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I dont care about making the tree "feel" that I care about it. I am trying to get it to grow as much as possible as soon as possible so that it gets established.

That comment seemed kind of condescending but I do not know if it was meant that way so I am saying it just so that it does not get taken that way if it was not meant to be.

• poncirusguy6b452xx
    10 years ago

John, Reptile I am one of those people that believes that showing concern for a plant does positively affect the well being of that plant. I have no way of proving either way, but it cant hurt and may help. I would go ahead and cover it. Just make sure the sheet does not touch the plant with any force.

• ReptileAddiction
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Will do. Thank you.

• Dave in NoVA • N. Virginia • zone 7A
    10 years ago

The amount of work you do to protect this small tree may depend upon where you live and how often you see temps down into 30s or even into the 20s.

If this is likely the lowest you'd expect for the year, just throw a blanket over it.

If you expect it could get much colder in late Dec. thru early Feb., then I'd probably consider constructing some kind of framework around it over which I'd drape a frostcloth or foam 'blanket' of some kind.

You don't say where you live or what zone you live in, so kind of hard to give advice.

This post was edited by dave_in_nova on Tue, Dec 3, 13 at 12:04

• johnmerr
    10 years ago

Reptile,

Condescending is not in my repertoire. I am a certified curmudgeon; and working on international recognition in that category. I may have anthropomorphized the tree a bit; but I actually believe plants have spirits and will respond to your care.

• ReptileAddiction
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Ok, I am sorry about that then. Thank you for clearing that up.

• hoosierquilt USDA 10A Sunset 23 Vista CA
    10 years ago

I will say, Reptile, if it is threatening to hit 36 as a low, then consider your own microclimate, and decide if it might dip lower. If weather reports say for me in Vista, that it might be 36 degrees as a low, I'm covering my younger citrus, as for me, I am at nearly 1,000 ft., and our lows are always about 3 to 8 degrees lower on average. So, for me, that means freezing temps for several hours. My mature citrus are fine, but my new, young, tender trees will get nipped. I have two weather stations on my property due to our microclimates, and even on my own property temps can vary (highs and lows) by about 5 degrees. So, you do what you think makes sense to you to do. And John is a curmudgeon, but don't let his curmudgeoness bother you enough to miss some of his great advice. He is a commercial grower, and although living in a very mild climate, he is originally from California, not far from your area, and does know a thing or two ;-) And, personally for Steve, I don't attribute any spirituality to trees, but I know it certainly makes ME feel better when I take good care of my trees. But then, I'm a nurse, so I get either nurse-guilt or generic mom-guilt if I neglect them in any way. I'd probably never survive being a commercial citrus grower, lol!!

Patty S.

• meyermike_1micha
    10 years ago

Patty..You make me laugh and are right on!

Reptile, have you ever thought of using Christmas lights to keep your tree warm under the blankets when it gets that cold?
    I would...many are doing it and are having much success while beautifying their trees...You know, the good ole fashion bigger bulb ones..

MIke

• ReptileAddiction
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you all. To be honest, this is one micro climate that is confusing me. I would think that it would stay warmer because it is in between my house and my neighbors and by the driveway and a concrete path but last year a bougainvillea that was in this sam area got frosted out and died. Which definitely should not have happened. But then again I got severe frost damage on some of my palms (though they are not sheltered at all, they basically stick out on the golf course so the wind whips through there.

I have considered christmas lights but my electricity bill is SO high during the holidays because of all my lights (dont worry I am converting to LED) and the rates just went up that I am not too thrilled about getting more, non LED's.

• poncirusguy6b452xx
    10 years ago

LED light will do fine. You will need 4 times the bulbs to do the same thing. If you get a 10 watt string then you will need 6 strands to equal a 60 watt bulb of any kind. If you need 100 watts then 10 strands.

John, I am rooting for your international status of Mr. World In the curmudgeon contest.

Steve

• ReptileAddiction
    Original Author
    10 years ago

If I am going to use the amount of LEDs that use the same amount of watts as the other bulb then I use the same amount of electricity and I am back to square one.

• poncirusguy6b452xx
    10 years ago

if you cover the tree with plastic it will greatly reduce the loss of heat from the tree to the outside. Placing a jug or 3 of hot water will give the tree a boost. You are correct about the energy used is the same, but you can find led everywhere and the old ones might not be so easily found. you will only need these a few times a year so it might not cost more than 15 cents a night for maybe 10 nights a year.

• hoosierquilt USDA 10A Sunset 23 Vista CA
    10 years ago

LED's actually will not generate enough heat, Steve. Don't waste your time. Steve's suggestion of a couple of gallons of hot water actually do work. Also, flooding the soil under your trees works well, too. And, it would only be for a night or two, and only on your most tender, small trees. Also, consider the cultivar - a satsuma may do fine uncovered. Other mandarins as well (such as Gold Nugget, Shasta Gold). A lime tree, however, would need as much protection as you can afford to give it.

Patty S.

• poncirusguy6b452xx
    10 years ago

you can get a high dome tent real cheap at this time of the year. Cut the bottom out of it large enough to slip over your tree. Place bucket of hot water inside this will moisture up the air to the above freezing. If the air is dry, the leaves will lose moisture and cause the tree to drop off to lower than the outside true temperature. Bottled hot water will not saturate the air and will not give the added protection of humid are

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH