Return to the Citrus Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Late season fertilization issue

Posted by arkberry 8b (My Page) on
Sun, Dec 2, 12 at 23:10

I have a late season fertilization issue. I have an in ground satsuma and it's leaves are starting to show signs of nutrient problems. I gave it a fertilization around labor day, but it was obviously too little. My dilemma is we are on the very very very upper zone of its winter tolerance and I do not want any potential new growth get winter damage nor do I want a hungry plant all winter. I feel like I am at a roulette table with my options and we know there are no winners in Vegas.

I am considering a little dose of fertilizer. In the past I have used a product for in ground citrus with a 2-3 time per year application. I I do give it a late season dose, would a water soluble product like my foliage pro be a better option?

Tree is of fruiting size. Last winter a sheet and pan of water kept it safe, but I could go with more of a temp greenhouse if needed.

Thanks for assistance.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Late season fertilization issue

Do nothing; you have done what you can...have faith and wait till Spring

o

Or.... give it a dose of foliar fert; helps to correct micronutrients sometimes and without causing a growth spurt.

o

I always fertilize regularly during the winter. If it is consistently cold, fertilizer will not stimulate new growth. I have never had an issue with new growth emerging during the winter. You can induce a late growth flush if you fertilize during late fall warm spells, but not when the temperature are consistently cold.

I think that winter fertilization is a great way of correcting nutrient deficiencies, particularly if your plants need summer water. City water is often alkaline which may actually induce nutrient deficiencies by increasing the soil pH. I have found that my citrus are a much darker green color since I started fertilizing in the winter. Also, I am sure it improves the vigorousness of the spring growth flush.

-Brett

o

• Posted by fruitnut z7b-8a,4500ft SW TX (My Page) on
    Mon, Dec 3, 12 at 22:41

arkberry:

In your zone I won't fertilize now. Wait till spring. You don't want new growth now. I rarely fertilize my tree in a greenhouse and it spits out gobs of fruit every year.

This is a typical fruit load every year. Can't remember when I last fertilized. I do have down weed barrier so the tree doesn't have to compete with grass or weeds.

Photobucket

o
nutrient issues

• Posted by fruitnut z7b-8a,4500ft SW TX (My Page) on
    Mon, Dec 3, 12 at 22:52

I should have pointed out that even in my greenhouse the citrus trees look yellow and nutrient poor in winter. This is due to cool temperatures. I'm keeping highs about 60F and lows 30s this time of year to give other fruits their chilling. This causes the citrus to stop growing and look yellowish. But the fruit sweetens up and looks great as you can see. In March, after it warms up, the trees flush out with nice growth and bloom.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Citrus Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here