Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
limeinqueens

Calamondin in an Office Window?

limeinqueens
9 years ago

I have the citrus bug in a major way but limited space. So I got to thinking: I've been wanting a calamondin... could I put it in my office window?

The window faces almost due west but light is partially blocked by an office building. It gets morning sun, maybe 4 hours, plus maybe an hour at sunset. I could put a flourescent tube on it (I have one I'm not using, not sure of wattage/spectrum) or bring in a daylight CFL that I have at home. Whatever light I choose can be run 9-5. The window is flimsy (old, single pane) but the spot tends to be warm as it is near the radiator. I have a very broad sill so that's not an issue. Also, other people have plants, including my boss, so I think having the plant is ok.

What do you think? Have my dreams of calamondin marmalade made me delusional? Or is this a setup that could work?

Comments (6)

• citrusweekendwarrior
    9 years ago

Limesinqueen,

It's worth a shot. I have 4 potted citrus (one of which is a calamondin) that I keep in the house over winter. I don't supplement an extra lighting, just what they get from the window. They all do "OK".... Not great, but just ok. Once they get use to the lighting they are easy to take care of. Mine will even bloom and hold fruit in doors.

I will note this. If you don't have any citrus currently, a calamondin would not be my first pick. They're good looking trees and just about always have tiny fruit on them. And when they bloom their flowers can be smelled in the next room. But my lime and lemon produce fruit that I enjoy more, and do just about as well as the calamondin.
    I've made calamondin marmalade before. I would add a spoon full to my cup of green tea... Some times with honey. A very original tea that you couldn't taste anywhere else, but your very own kitchen.
    I've had my tree for 10 years now and would never get rid of it, but after owning some of my other citrus for about 3 years I've enjoyed the fruit of my labor more with them then I have with my calamondin.
    I'm not trying to talk you out of a calamondin, just want to make sure you know that other citrus do well in doors as well.

• citrusweekendwarrior
    9 years ago

Here's a pic of my calamondin!

• limeinqueens
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you for your thoughts. Wow! what a tree. It is beautiful. I didn't know they could give fruit in the winter with less light, that's very interesting. I usually read that 6 hours direct sun is the minimum (although since coming to this forum I've learned that a lot of what "they" say is not true).

I do have a lime at home, and I am getting a fig (those are all I have appropriate space for at home) although I am definitely a rank beginner in the fruit growing department. I understand what you are saying -- it seems like not many people actually like to eat calamondin fruit -- but Jam & preserves is a hobby of mine so in terms of adding variety to my wee orchard, calamondin actually appeals to me more than the lemon.

Thanks again for your response!

• citrusweekendwarrior
    9 years ago

You're welcome.
    If jam & preserves is a hobby, then a calamondin tree will give you something to do once or twice a year. The fruit ripen much faster for me then my other citrus.
    If i may share a few of things I've learned over the years:
    The fruit is actually ripe when it just starts to turn change from green.
    You can force the tree to bud by letting it dry out completely, where the leaves are about to start dropping, and then continue it's normal watering cycle. In a month or two the tree will start to bud. (only do this when the tree is well established and healthy)
    Don't get sucked in reading tons of opinions of what soil is best. Just don't over water the tree if you go with something that holds water a little better.
    Other then that. these trees are next to impossible to kill.

• limeinqueens
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for the tips. You've been so helpful. I think I will take a shot at it.

>Other then that. these trees are next to impossible to kill.

:D that sounds pretty good.

• citrusweekendwarrior
    9 years ago

Double post.

This post was edited by CitrusWeekendWarrior on Sun, Dec 7, 14 at 8:08

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio