Return to the Citrus Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Why won't my Meyer bloom???

Posted by amyta z8 mid GA (My Page) on
Tue, Dec 4, 12 at 23:36

I have a Meyer in a pot that's about 8 yr. old. It bloomed a couple of times but for the last few years it's had blooms but few lemons. It looks really healthy but hasn't bloomed this year. It's inside now near a window. I fertilized with Peter's all summer when it was outside and twice since it's been inside. Frankly, it's not worth the trouble if it's not going to produce. Please give me suggestions.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Why won't my Meyer bloom???

So it has bloomed just not this year. Meyers are pretty good at blooming a few times per year but the amount of blooms isnt always a lot. Any chance it did bloom and you missed it?

If you could post a few photos that would help assess the overall health of the tree.

also
which Peters, how much and how often.

John is the meyer expert, he might have some better advice.

Mike

o

Hello MIke:-)

Amy, what are the numbers on your fertilizer and how much do you use, how often?

Sometimes too much Nitrogen can cause a plant to focus its leaves instead of flowers.

Yes, John might be by since he grows thousands of Meyer trees and has no problem with fruit crop.

Mike

o

I find it hard or nearly impossible to over-fertilize a Meyer; but of course that doesn't apply to container plants. You should be fertilizing your Meyer with a fertilizer in the 3-1-2 ratio for best results; and the mix should include Magnesium, Calcium, Iron, Zinc, and maybe Copper. I use a fertilizer specially blended for me at 18-6-12 and the above minerals; each mature producing tree gets 3 pounds of that mix per year... trees producing 400 lemons per year. I also give them a shot of chelated mineral mix once per year, sort of an insurance policy as I don't know for sure they need it. One thing I do know is if you give a Meyer an overdose of Nitrogen, it will dump the flowers in favor of growing pretty green leaves.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Citrus Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here