Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
stickstring

Xmas gift for dad, advice in Sonoma County, Ca

Hello all, my father lives in the Santa Rosa area of sonoma county. He currently grows multiple plums, figs, and green and red table grapes. He is a BIG grapefruit fan, and I was hoping to get him a nice, large grapefruit tree in the "perfect variety". My problem is, what is a "great grapefruit", flavor, juice quality.... Etc? And will it thrive in sonoma county?

Thank you all

Comments (10)

• hoosierquilt USDA 10A Sunset 23 Vista CA
    9 years ago

You might try looking at Rolling River Nursery. They have Bloomsweet grapefruits, which might do better in areas that are a bit cooler. The other option would be Rio Red grapefruit. Another option that doesn't require high heat units to sweeten would be Oroblanco grapefruit hybrid. It is a cross between a grapefruit and a pummelo. Very delicious and should sweeten up in your area. I would check with good garden centers in your area, or your local Master Gardeners and see what grapefruit cultivars might be the best for this area.

Patty S.

Here is a link that might be useful: Rolling River Nursery - Grapefruits

• johnmerr
    9 years ago

I don't grow grapefruits; because I don't like them. I only have 3 trees for other friends/family; they are Oroblanco, aka Sweetie. I have tried them, and if I had to eat a grapefruit, I could eat that one.

9 years ago

John, you'd like Cocktail. Even sweeter than Oroblanco. I just love it. I like that grapefruit flavor, I just don't care for the bitterness of a true grapefruit. Both of these (and of course Melogold, the "sister" of Melogold - same cross) are nice choices, but Cocktail is my favorite.

Patty S.

• uncle molewacker z9b Danville CA (E.SF Bay)
    9 years ago

Grapefruits in wine country are a challenge due to the freezes. I suggest Cocktail.
    My Napa grapefruit trials have been frustrating to say the least. Santa Rosa is generally a few degrees colder than Napa so Grapefruit will be under more stress than i have experienced in Napa. The cold nights will translate to slower / later ripening.

Right now, the only edible (I should say juice-able) grapefruit produced has been the Cocktail. My Oroblanco (within 10 ft. of the Cocktail) was pulled due to severe freeze damage (Dec. '13).

The Cocktail in Napa is almost ripe, definitely not sweet yet (while the Cocktail in Danville has been nicely ripe for weeks). Danville has slightly warmer nights.

I had a Red Blush in Napa for a while and the fruit did survive several 19F nights. But the fruit did not ripen until late July.

I'd say the choice needs to be driven by the temperature exposure. Cocktail is toughest, followed by many grapefruits including Melogold. Oroblanco the worst (as sensitive as a lemon/lime).

Good Luck - George

9 years ago

George I am surprised that there would be any differences between Melogold and Oroblanco with regard to cold tolerance, as they are genetic siblings, both from the exact same cross: a cross of the 2N acidless pummelo and the 4N seedy white grapefruit. I'm thinking perhaps this was just the difference between two individual trees, one possibly being in better shape to withstand a cold snap, and the other not so much.

And, I would give Bloomsweet a chance. I have one that is full of fruit this year finally, so excited to try it this year.

Patty S.

9 years ago

Patty, i was surprised too for the exact reason you describe. Of course it is possible that the individual tree was less tolerant. It was vigorously (and successfully) roaring back after a bout of root rot a year earlier.

I was on Four Winds web site a while back and noticed that on their comparison chart that they list protection temperature for Oroblanco at 32F and Melogold (and their other grapefruit) at 28F. From what i have seen in two northern California locations, the Oroblanco is more fragile than the MeloG. Actually, nearly as fragile to feezes as the Tahitian Pumelo. I say nearly only because the TP was totally killed while the OroB was killed to 1" above the graft. - similar to my PinkL.

For Santa Rosa / wine country the frosts and freezes are common and so cold resistance should drive the choice [unless adequate protection is guaranteed].

My best performers in wine country after last December's nasty freeze are (in order) Okitsu Wase Satsumas, Page Orange, Navel oranges, then Orangequats and Fukushu 'quats. My Meyer on Cuban Shaddock was 5 ft. tall, but latent cambium freeze damage set in and now its barely 2 ft - and the CS rootstock split badly. The other Meyer on Macro has been badly whacked (branches split, cambium dead in multiple areas) by the last 4 years of freezes but still produced a couple dozen tasty and juicy cocktail ingredients. The Macro rootstock was not damaged. :-)

Below is a picture of the young [Napa] Cocktail in January 2014, about 6 weeks after the bad freeze. It did eventually lose about 50% of its leaves. The OroBlanco 10 feet away (to the right) was killed to 1" above the graft!

• stickstring ( Sonoma County, CA 9B)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you for all of the advice.... Does anyone have any opinions on other exceptionally good fruit tree's that would thrive in sonoma county? With the exception of plums. It would have to be dwarf or semi dwarf.... Possibly 15' max?

9 years ago

Eversweet (non/low-staining) Pomegranate is one of my favorites.
    Persimmons (but the tree can get large so pruning will be needed to keep to 15 ft.)

• northbay12
    9 years ago

I live in Santa Rosa, and I have had some success with citrus. I have to mature trees on their own roots, a Valencia and a 'Meyer' lemon. The tips freeze back, but that's about it. I also have overwintered a Redblush grapefruit, 'Cara Cara' navel orange, Vainiglia Sanguigno orange, 'Kishu' mandarin, 'Smith Red Valencia', 'Fukushu' kumquat, 'Moro' blood orange, 'Minneola' tangelo, 'Rio Red' grapefruit, 'Tango' mandarin, 'Bearss' lime, and 'Shasta Gold' mandarin.
    Our cold winters mean that trees have to be well on their way to getting established by the time frost rolls around. Plant right after the last frost. Another concern is our summer heat. Even though Santa Rosa is not coastal, we rarely see the summer heat that the ideal citrus growing areas see. The best citrus I have had here is an 'Owari' satsuma, they were really sweet and tender. There are a couple of gigantic grapefruits in Healdsburg. Don't know what cultivar, but they are at least 15 ft, with huge trunks.
    Persimmons do very well here, no disease, hardy, and attractive.
    Peaches do well, but tend to get curl without treatment.
    Apricots are very productive here.
    Apples
    Asian and European pears
    Second pomegranates, low water and maintenance.
    Figs are easy as well
    If you are in the area, I would check out Harmony Farm Supply in Graton for advice on fruit trees, they really know their stuff, as well as stock a lot of the more unusual varieties.

• northbay12
    9 years ago

Also, this Novato blog has been an excellent resource for me. Similar climate to Santa Rosa.

Here is a link that might be useful: Backyard Citrus Blog

Sponsored
Moda Kitchen and Bath
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars20 Reviews
Loudoun County's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living