Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
poncirusguy6b452xx

Grafting to Poncirus Trifoliata

poncirusguy6b452xx
10 years ago

I have made 4 grafting to 2 poncirus trifoliata.

{{gwi:654142}}
The lower graft is a scion of sweetlee tangerine side wedged to the PT root-stock. The upper is a T-bud of Nagami to PT

{{gwi:654143}}
Nagami T-Budded to PT in 2 places 180 degrees apposed.

{{gwi:654144}}
Close up of Nagami on larger PT in lower position.

The PT's were pushing forward with new growth and the bark slipped nicely. Would anyone have any advice to help me maximize the chance of success.

Thanks Steve

Comments (18)

• johnmerr
    10 years ago

keep it warm and unwrap it in 16 days.

• theoriginaldawgone
    10 years ago

Keep it warm like the previous post indicated , but I would wail A LOT longer than 16 days before I unwrap it , way longer---- like a month

Why didn't you use the clear budding tape??

• poncirusguy6b452xx
    Original Author
    10 years ago

The only thing I can buy in Cincinnasti is what is popular, not what is best. I do not mail order. If I can't see or touch it, I don't buy it. I use to be good at grafting but have lost my touch with failure rates above 90%, despite using better materials. I can,t see buying materials with that high of a failure rate. I have switched to seed grown fruit tree with great success. My sweetlee tangerine trees have well over 5 FT of linear growth, They were born 2013 January 3rd through 7th. The kumquats have such a poor root system that grafting is the only chance of ever seeing anything more than a "MICROSCOPIC BONZAI "

Steve

• johnmerr
    10 years ago

My T-bud guru, who last year made 4,100 trees for me in one batch... and did not lose a single tree... unwraps them at 14 days; I prefer to wait 2 days more, as I am not as adept or gentle at unwrapping them; and I sometimes disturb the junction.

• Dave in NoVA • N. Virginia • zone 7A
    10 years ago

I like Parafilm for grafting best. I tried Buddy tape, but it kept tearing.

Using the best products does affect the % of takes -- as well as time of the year, sharpness of blade, quality of scion, technique, etc. Grafting is an art form and takes practice.

Why did you do two grafts on one rootstock trunk? Just for insurance? Because you won't be able to force both of them at the same time. I'll assume it's in case one doesn't take?

Are you budding mature wood or juvenile wood?

• johnmerr
    10 years ago

How many buds you can put on one trunk depends a lot on the size of the trunk and root; and some on the type of rootstock. I have done as many as 10 on a 2 year old Macrophylla to create an "instant tree". When I say "I have done", I mean my master grafter did it for me.

• poncirusguy6b452xx
    Original Author
    10 years ago

John -- I have a 'large' poncirus at 3 feet tall and wide that I thought I would multiple bud for a much more complete trees. I was also thinking that since PT grows more vigorously than kumquat I would graft to limbs instead of the main trunk. Your guru not only can graft far better than me. He is knowledgeable enough to feel when the rootstocks are at a grafting prime.

Dave -- I did 2 grafts for insurance and If both force 2 trunks of nagami will keep up with the PT better than one trunk. The buds I used were of a good size and dormant from a branch that lost its top while in a growth spurt. The bud was near the top of the tree.

Steve

• poncirusguy6b452xx
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Just uncovered the buds after 24 days

• poncirusguy6b452xx
    Original Author
    10 years ago

The second bud. The two grafts on the other PT died

• Dave in NoVA • N. Virginia • zone 7A
    10 years ago

Sorry to see that. Looks like they have all failed. Was the bark slipping when you did the graft? Looks like it has pulled away from the bud and the bud dried out.

What kind of tape did you use?

Perhaps a chip graft would have been a better option?

• poncirusguy6b452xx
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I used teflon pluming tape, stretches nice and holds thing together.

The only graft that I have ever succeeded to is the whip and tongue. and the only one that ever failed was the sweetlee to PT. It is very discouraging. because Kumquats don't send a message to grow signal to their roots. The twigs grow very fast, up to 3 inches a week My seed grown sweetlee tangerine at 51 weeks age now has over 10 feet of linear twig and trunk growth. This is to be my next root stock to top graft if PT can't be grafted. I am not interested in growing fruit I can buy just down the street. I am looking for kumquats, fig, seeded grapes, kiwis, etc.

If you ever pass through cincinnati I will probably have trees for you if you want.

Steve

• poncirusguy6b452xx
    Original Author
    10 years ago

One week later from unwrapping the bud.

the red circles the leaf scar.

Black circles the thorn

blue is the bud.

• citrange2
    10 years ago

It is the wrong time of year to T-bud on to Poncirus in a cool and low light climate.
    Try again when the rootstock is growing strongly, not when it is dormant. Here in England I can't T-bud successfully from September until mid-April. Perhaps a bit earlier start for your climate.

• poncirusguy6b452xx
    Original Author
    10 years ago

citrange

Thanks, I'll do that in warmer and brighter times. Yesterday I wrote off grafting to PT and I planted 6 grapefruit seeds around the periphery of my meiwa kumquat in hopes of bend grafting to my meiwa and taking over as rootstock.. I can then cut the meiwa roots base out

• tantanman
    10 years ago

T-budding days to unwrap depend on the temperature. April/May cool maybe 18 to 21 days. Aug/Sept maybe 13 to 15 days. Upper TX Coast.

If you are having that kind much trouble, the simple wedge, graft is best, but it requires a match of diameters for best results on citrus.

• miketropic
    10 years ago

Just found this post and I live pretty close to Cincinnati poncirusguy. I was wondering where you are getting the PT stock? I have a seedling i think is now dead ( nice shade of gold) and would like another one, possibly "flying dragon" is there some place local here that is selling PT?

• poncirusguy6b452xx
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I bought mine on Ebay. They are the full the size PT. I have 3 of them. You can have one if you like. I'll keep my best 2..You can contact me through email through the gardenweb addresses. Click on my name then you will have 4 choice with one to contact me. In private I can give you instruction.

The link below has an Ebay sale for flying dragon seeds.

You can also start a post of your own asking for FD seed

Steve

Here is a link that might be useful: http://www.ebay.com/itm/10-JAPANESE-BITTER-ORANGE-TREE-SEEDS-HARDY-ORANGE-poncirus-trifoliata-/310854537066?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0amp;hash=item48605fcf6a

• poncirusguy6b452xx
    Original Author
    10 years ago

miketropic

"I got your email and sent you one. did you get it