Return to the Clematis Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Growing Clematis in Water

Posted by hoot1 z5bNS (My Page) on
Thu, Feb 2, 06 at 14:10

Here is a picture of some clematis I have rooting in water. Note the small, green leaves. Those are new. And also, you can see the new leaves forming on the other shoots.
Dawn

Image link: Growing Clematis in Water (9 k)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Growing Clematis in Water

I saw another post like this and went mad! I rushed out and took cuttings of 3 clematis in Feb., put them in water and.....and......nothing as of today March 17. Sigh....wrong time of year?

o

Debbb:
My clematis cuttings that I rooted in water, I took last June, almost one year ago, and now they are in pots, all eight of them, and doing very nicely. I will post pictures when I can. Don't give up. It will take at least 4-6 months for the cuttings to root.
Dawn

o

Debbb - why dont you just try rooting clematis with rooting powder - I tried it last spring/summer and had no problem at all. I just took a fairly woody piece and scraped off a small amount of the wood with my finger nail - dipped it in rooting horomone and pooked a hole in the dirt and added the clematis stem - rooting horomone intact - firmed the dirt and watered. I had pretty good luck doing it this way and it took a few months for it to take also - but just make sure you give it a fair amount of water. In other words keep it moist but not soaked. Try a few different stages of the clematis - in other words a fairly woody piece and maybe a younger piece and see which one works for you. here is a link to propagation of clematis. http://members.home.nl/jvanacquoij/prop.html
and try this too
http://dspace.dial.pipex.com/clematis/prop.htm

Good luck!!

o

Debbb - why dont you just try rooting clematis with rooting powder - I tried it last spring/summer and had no problem at all. I just took a fairly woody piece and scraped off a small amount of the wood with my finger nail - dipped it in rooting horomone and pooked a hole in the dirt and added the clematis stem - rooting horomone intact - firmed the dirt and watered. I had pretty good luck doing it this way and it took a few months for it to take also - but just make sure you give it a fair amount of water. In other words keep it moist but not soaked. Try a few different stages of the clematis - in other words a fairly woody piece and maybe a younger piece and see which one works for you. here is a link to propagation of clematis. http://members.home.nl/jvanacquoij/prop.html
and try this too
http://dspace.dial.pipex.com/clematis/prop.htm

Good luck!!

o
RE: re Growing Clematis in Water

I apologize for the double post - I came back to the computer and I thought I had forgotten to post this - I didnt think even if I made a mistake it would post again??? As I have in the past tried to add something to posts before and it notes that you have to change the subject line to post - just like I had to here to add my apology (I had to add the re in the subject line. So I have no idea what happened - again I apologize. Golden

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Clematis Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here