Return to the Clematis Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Photos of Viticella Clematis + More

Posted by pmermakov Zone 6 (OH) (My Page) on
Mon, Jun 11, 12 at 17:39

I wanted to share some photos I took of my viticella clematis in early June. I am excited to see how they have thrived after 1 to 2 seasons of growth.

Betty Corning:

Etoile Violette:

Emila Plater:

Clematis along the east side of my house. This is only the second year for most of them. I was surprised how they mainly bloomed on the top parts. Is this typical? They get plenty of sun, although sheltered by the house. Any thoughts?

Polish Spirit and Abundance:

Ville de Lyon and Emila Plater:

Fairydust growing over my wheeping cherry tree:

Prince Charles and Royal Velours (close-up):

Prince Charles and Royal Velours:

Polish Spirit and Abundance:

Purpurea Plene Elegans and Betty Corning:

Roguchi:

Forever Friends (white) and Romanika with Blanket Flower:

The Arch in my garden:

My padio surrounded by flowers:

Reflections and Madame Julia Correvon:

Maria Cornelia:

Helios:

Cicciolina:

Forever Friends:

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Photos of Viticella Clematis + More

I really enjoyed viewing your vitacellas and other clems. I also grow several of them, but you are particularly adept at combining 2 or 3 different clems together--many charming combinations, but I really like Ville de Lyon and Emila Plater. And Abundance has an interesting shape that I didn't expect.

Kate

o

I haven't checked the gallery recently and glad you posted about your photos on the discussion side so that I didn't miss these great photos.

o

Great pictures! Thank you for posting. Do you hard prune your viticellas? It usually helps with bare legs and blooms on top.
Grow

o

Yes, I hard prune all my type 3's in the early spring. I only fertilized them once in late April. Maybe as they mature the naked leg problem will improve!

o

Beautiful pics of your clems. Those are my very favorite plants.

o

The naked leg problem is normal. After you hard prune, pinch back the new growth too. That encourages more stems thus more flowers.

They will really explode the third and fourth years. They'll be more than twice the size of second year if they grow like mine did on a wall of trellises like that.

o

Buyorsell888~ I will try pinching them back after hard pruning in the spring. Thank you for the tip!

o

Which of these 2 do you like/recomment over the other ... forever friends or maria cornelia?

o

I would go with Forever Friends over Maria Cornelia, although MC is not well established at this point. The flower shape and color are quit different: MC is a creamy white and bell shaped flowers, where as FF is a brighter white and has more open facing flowers.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Clematis Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here