Return to the Clematis Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
clematis is turning brown

Posted by martnewbie 5 (My Page) on
Mon, Jun 25, 07 at 23:01

Last june I bought 3 clematis (clematie??? clematises???) to cover our porch. I knew nothing about them for the most part. Don't know the group or the names. I put them in the ground and let them do there thing. They grew a bit last summer and got settled in. I didn't expect much.
This year they have taken off. Two of the three have exploded with blossoms. I am now an official clematis junkie. I had no idea. What an amazing plant. It's barely been a year. We had a hard frost in march so it's really only been 6 months of actual grow time.
Here's the problem though.
The top is beautiful the bottom is turning brown. The leaves as well as the stems. It is slowly creeping up the plant. I'm afraid in a month the whole thing will look dead. Is this what is meant by naked leg? Is there a mag. deficiency? I understand from the forum that wilt starts at the top and works its way down. Mine is at the bottom working its way up.
I will try to now upload some images.

Image link: clematis is turning brown (37 k)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: clematis is turning brown

Most likely they need more water. Type II's do this in summer a lot.

Hard prune all of them next early spring. This will help them by making them more compact, sprout new vines from the roots and let the root system catch up with the top growth to better deal with summer's heat and drought.

All Clematis should be hard pruned the first two to three early springs regardless of variety or pruning group.

They are not instant gratification plants and require this seemingly harsh treatment to get off to the best start. Especially the large flowered type II's.

o

My 4 yr old is doing the same thing. It's an early bloomer and last year died off by mid July. This year I have a beautiful vine and no blooms, not a one. It's starting to turn brown again. I'll try more water tonight.

o

My Clematis is turning brown on the tips as well. I have noticed that it is the older leaves and that it starts on the tips then spreads down. I also noticed that some leaves going brown have spidery webs on them and leaves are attached together. Is this spider mites? Do I have two different types of things going on as not all the leaves have this spidery web? The plant is not in a hot sunny spot and my soil is clay an loam combination. Living in London UK we get enough rain but not overly so and I am therefore not overwatering. What can the problem be?

o

They tend to get fungus. Cut off the affected parts.

Clematis can be very frustrating.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Clematis Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here