Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hodgepodge_roses

Rose & Clematis pairings

hodgepodge_roses
14 years ago

Hello everyone! I am generally a lurker on the rose forum and have recently bought my first house. I already have a rose addiction and I am turning to you, the experts for some enabling regarding clematis.

I have spent the past few days looking through old postings and have found that the best class of clematis to pair with roses is group 3.

I recently planted 2 Austins, Golden Celebration (yellow) and Heritage (soft pink) on either side of an arbor in front of my house & would like to add clematis to grow up the arbor. Can anyone recommend varieties that are good for newbies that would look good with those roses? I think 'Etoile Violette' is stunning.

When ordering, which online vendors have the most vigorous plants? How do they come shipped?

I am here to learn and would love any advice regarding growing clematis, both as companion plants with roses and in pots. What are some of your favorite rose & clematis pairings?

O.k. enable all you want...I am prepared.

Thanks in advance,

Deron

Comments (6)

• paddlehikeva
    14 years ago

Here is a book that I enjoyed when I was planning my rose and clematis pairings. Things are not mature enough for me to give advice, but I will enable you with a recommendation for this book.

Kathy

Here is a link that might be useful: Roses and Clematis

• iris_9
    14 years ago

I'm in central CA and ordered 2 clematis (Huldine and Sweet Autumn) last June from Digging Dog nursery in Albion CA. They arrived within a couple of days in very healthy condition in small pots which I later potted up to 1 gal containers and then planted in ground in Oct. So far they seem to be coming along fine. The Huldine is planted by a Don Juan climbing rose and I hope the Sweet Autumn will cover an ugly expanse of fence.
    Anyway I was very pleased with Digging Dog.

• kitkat_oregon
    14 years ago

Deron, Silver Star Vinery sells BIG plants and those really are the best to plant right away. As Iris said, the smaller plants should be potted up into a larger container and allowed to advance at little bit. This does not mean, however, that a small plant cant be planted in its permanent home, it stands a better chance and you stand a better chance at not being disappointed if you pot them up. Joy Creek also has a huge inventory and great selection of clematis. They sell theirs in 4.5" pots, I think. Brushwood Nursery is also a great resource, and Dan, the guy who runs it, is a wealth of information and very, very helpful. He also sells some wonderful climbing roses. You sound like a kindred spirit and the folks here and on the rose forum will enable you to your hearts content.

Good Luck. Kat

• hodgepodge_roses
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Kathy~ Funny you mention that book, I ordered it on Monday & hopefully it will be here tomorrow. Then I'm in trouble....

@Kat~ I really enjoyed Silver Star's website & info, right down to the Basset Hound. My kinda people I guess.

@Iris~ Thanks for letting me know to "pot up". I was also thinking of getting Don Juan and was wondering how a purple clematis would look with it. I have heard wonderful things on the forum about Huldine.
    Thanks for the input!
    Deron

• bob414
    14 years ago

In my garden Huldine is a vigorous grower. It goes well with Don Juan but somewhat overpowers it. On the other end of Don Juan I have Mrs. Cholmondeley. I like that combination.
    {{gwi:573171}}

• kentstar
    14 years ago

A great book I found is "Roses and Clematis as good companions".
    I think the soft pink would probably look great with a darker purple clematis. Maybe the golden celebration too.
    Brushwood nursery has some wonderful clematis, and they ship very, very healthy big plants.

Here is a link that might be useful: Barnes and Noble book

Sponsored
Fairfax Kitchen and Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars53 Reviews
DC Area's Top Rated Kitchen & Bath Remodeling Experts