Return to the Clematis Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Rose & Clematis pairings

Posted by hodgepodge_roses So cal/10 (My Page) on
Wed, Jan 27, 10 at 1:30

Hello everyone! I am generally a lurker on the rose forum and have recently bought my first house. I already have a rose addiction and I am turning to you, the experts for some enabling regarding clematis.

I have spent the past few days looking through old postings and have found that the best class of clematis to pair with roses is group 3.
I recently planted 2 Austins, Golden Celebration (yellow) and Heritage (soft pink) on either side of an arbor in front of my house & would like to add clematis to grow up the arbor. Can anyone recommend varieties that are good for newbies that would look good with those roses? I think 'Etoile Violette' is stunning.

When ordering, which online vendors have the most vigorous plants? How do they come shipped?

I am here to learn and would love any advice regarding growing clematis, both as companion plants with roses and in pots. What are some of your favorite rose & clematis pairings?

O.k. enable all you want...I am prepared.
Thanks in advance,
Deron

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Rose & Clematis pairings

Here is a book that I enjoyed when I was planning my rose and clematis pairings. Things are not mature enough for me to give advice, but I will enable you with a recommendation for this book.

Kathy

Here is a link that might be useful: Roses and Clematis

o

I'm in central CA and ordered 2 clematis (Huldine and Sweet Autumn) last June from Digging Dog nursery in Albion CA. They arrived within a couple of days in very healthy condition in small pots which I later potted up to 1 gal containers and then planted in ground in Oct. So far they seem to be coming along fine. The Huldine is planted by a Don Juan climbing rose and I hope the Sweet Autumn will cover an ugly expanse of fence.
Anyway I was very pleased with Digging Dog.

o

Deron, Silver Star Vinery sells BIG plants and those really are the best to plant right away. As Iris said, the smaller plants should be potted up into a larger container and allowed to advance at little bit. This does not mean, however, that a small plant cant be planted in its permanent home, it stands a better chance and you stand a better chance at not being disappointed if you pot them up. Joy Creek also has a huge inventory and great selection of clematis. They sell theirs in 4.5" pots, I think. Brushwood Nursery is also a great resource, and Dan, the guy who runs it, is a wealth of information and very, very helpful. He also sells some wonderful climbing roses. You sound like a kindred spirit and the folks here and on the rose forum will enable you to your hearts content.

Good Luck. Kat

o

Kathy~ Funny you mention that book, I ordered it on Monday & hopefully it will be here tomorrow. Then I'm in trouble....

@Kat~ I really enjoyed Silver Star's website & info, right down to the Basset Hound. My kinda people I guess.

@Iris~ Thanks for letting me know to "pot up". I was also thinking of getting Don Juan and was wondering how a purple clematis would look with it. I have heard wonderful things on the forum about Huldine.
Thanks for the input!
Deron

o

• Posted by bob414 USDA 9, Sunset 15 (My Page) on
    Fri, Jan 29, 10 at 13:45

In my garden Huldine is a vigorous grower. It goes well with Don Juan but somewhat overpowers it. On the other end of Don Juan I have Mrs. Cholmondeley. I like that combination.

o

A great book I found is "Roses and Clematis as good companions".
I think the soft pink would probably look great with a darker purple clematis. Maybe the golden celebration too.
Brushwood nursery has some wonderful clematis, and they ship very, very healthy big plants.

Here is a link that might be useful: Barnes and Noble book

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Clematis Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here