Return to the Clematis Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Question About Planting Potted Clematis

Posted by alameda 8 - East Texas (My Page) on
Fri, Jan 18, 13 at 2:11

I bought alot of clematis last fall from reputable nurseries online. I potted them up and the plants are doing well. I am wondering if I should plant them out this year or continue to grow them in pots. I really would prefer to plant them in the ground to get them growing where they will be permanently, but not sure what to do. If I should plant them, when should I do it? They are dormant now....we will have about another month, month and a half of winter weather, then it starts warming up and becomes spring. I noticed most all of them have bud leaves that have formed so assume they are growing well.
Thanks....
Judith

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Question About Planting Potted Clematis

I plant whenever the ground isn't frozen, though I tend to avoid July and August when it can be really hot and dry. Mine have done well planted in the fall and also have done well planted in the spring as soon as the ground was dry enough to work, the earlier the better so that they have a chance to settle in prior to summer's heat. After I plant I mulch to keep moisture more even.

o
RE: Question About Planting Potted Clematis

I would plant them out this spring if they have filled the pots with roots, cut the vines back hard when you do so.

It is only tiny baby mail order plants that do a lot better for most in pots, and that is only necessary for a few months until they grow bigger.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Clematis Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here