Return to the Clematis Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Can Clematis Be Planted Around A Birdfeeder?

Posted by alameda 8 - East Texas (My Page) on
Sun, Jan 27, 13 at 3:12

I have several shepherd's hooks that are curved and have hooks for 3 feeders on them placed around my yard with birdfeeders. Although the birds frequent them in winter, they look pretty bare in summer - I was wondering if it would hurt clematis to be planted at their base and grow on them - by the time winter comes and the birds start feeding, the clematis would have finished their season. Would clematis grow this way? The feeders are in full sun - I could mulch them well so the roots would stay cooler or place big pots with annuals at the base of the feeders.
Judith

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Can Clematis Be Planted Around A Birdfeeder?

You need more for them to climb than just the post of the hooks. Wire mesh for example.

Many will grow too large too, keep that in mind. You do not need to worry about "cool" roots. That really means moist not shaded. Clematis are not drought tolerant.

I have been to a private garden with a hundred Clematis and many are growing up posts topped by bird houses and feeders. There is no problem with the birds.

o

In my experience you would want to avoid using sunflower seeds with the hulls on in your bird feeders if you want to plant under the feeders. There is an allopathic compound in the sunflower hulls that discourages many plants from growing, and while I am not sure that it would affect clematis, I've found in the past that very few plants are happy under feeders that contain unhulled sunflower seeds since as the birds feed, the hulls drop onto the ground under the feeder, leaving the allopathic chemicals to leach out and discourage any other plants' growth. I think other bird food varieties would be fine, however.

o

I also read that about sunflower seeds. I use all sunflower seeds and my feeder had 2 "fairy rose " bushes and many day lilies around it and they did great. However, I planted two different Clem's there and they never took off. They were 3 feet tall , max for 3 years! I didn't know if the roses shaded them too much and they never had a chance or what. So maybe that compound leaching was to blame?

Here's a pic of the feeder and the plants that did well around it. Also ,A big perk to the very thorny rose bush, was the neighbors cat didn't mess with the birds there and the squirrels had to make lots of effort to jump up there.

Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Clematis Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here