Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
maryfaye_tx

Sweet Autumn Clematis question

maryfaye_tx
14 years ago

Last July my DH brought home 2 Sweet Autumn Clematis seedlings that someone gave him. I know nothing about them except that they climb. I planted one on each side of my potting shed (attached lattice to sides)and this last fall they had grown all the way to the roof.

They did not bloom but have stayed green all winter. My question is, should I cut they back and when.

Thanks Mary

Comments (5)

• nckvilledudes
    14 years ago

Mary, sweet autumn clematis can reseed itself quite easily and become a pest with all the volunteer seedlings it can produce in certain gardening zones. It reseeds itself like mad in my area and in an attempt to deal with mine and prevent it from reseeding, I typically cut my plant back by half after it blooms so that all the developing seedheads are removed. I then cut the plant nearly to the ground in late December/early January since the plant doesn't stay green for me all winter long.

In your zone, if the plant stays green all winter, you might be able to cut it back by half after it initially blooms and get another bloom flush out of it by late fall/early winter. Then in late winter you could cut it back to almost ground level and it should be good to go for that growing season.

I would find it quite interesting to see if you could get it to bloom for you more than once during any growing season. I am wondering how early in the season it might bloom for you since in my zone, my SAC blooms in early August, whereas in other zones it actually blooms in the fall as the name implies.

• impatientone_2009
    14 years ago

I am in zone 7. I had the most beautiful sweet autumn clematis. Unfortunately, I also have 2 big dogs, big clumsy dogs. They were playing and chasing each other and broke the 2 main stems off, I mean the stems were just hanging on the trellis. Do you think they will come back. The plants are very hard to find down here in Jackson,Tn.

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    14 years ago

It's probably hard to find in Tennessee as it is listed as a "significant" invasive threat. That said, it is a very tough vine and is typically pruned back hard each season, so it is very likely to come back in spring just fine......your big clumsy dogs just did your 'pruning' for you :-)

• tulipsmiles
    14 years ago

I folks, I have another S.A.C. question for you:
    I planted a one gallon container of SAC in Fall of 08. I was in hopes that it would perform by autumn of 09, which it barely did. It received 6 hrs of sunlight in summer, and was planted with compost, a cup of rosetone and a sprinkle of bonemeal. Do you think it just needs more time to get established? Last fall, in only had about 5 buds on it, and got to about 3ft tall, 1ft wide. Everything I read is that this clematis grows and grows and grows. That didn't happen here and I'm wondering what went wrong.
    Thanks!

• nckvilledudes
    14 years ago

Six hours is probably the minimum amount of sunlight clematis should get, especially in your zone tulipsmiles. Just as with all things, plants need a growing season at least to get established. I bet your SAC does much better this coming year after being in the ground for more than one year. Remember the old adage, first year sleep, second year creep, third year leap. SAC might not need three years to get it to the leap stage but it should do much better this coming year!

Sponsored
Grow Landscapes
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Planning Your Outdoor Space in Loundon County?