Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pmermakov

Ideas for fantastic Clematis Combos wanted!!

pmermakov
12 years ago

Hi, I would like to start a thread of photos and ideas you have implemented for great clematis combos. I'm especially interested in combining clematis with clematis, but also love the rose/clematis combo and other perennials as well. I just started collecting clematis in 2010, so most of mine are on the sleeping or creeping stage of things.

I saw the thread about "great clematis combos" and I was like, irish_rose_grower about being disappointed the photos were deleted. So, let us start a new thread filled with ideas and fantastic photos!!

When deciding on what to pair up with each other, I always stick with the same pruning requirements (2's with 2's and 3's with 3's). I really love going for color contrast! Other ideas I have read about are: Combining to extend the blooming period (early with mid or late season). Also, planting the same color, but two different forms and or size of flower.

A few that I am especially excited about having tried last year, but most I do not have photos of yet are:

Forever Friends with Romantika

Ashva with Cicciolina

Miss Bateman with Asao

Fireworks with Niobe

Blue Angel with Happy Birthday

Relections with Md Julia Correvon

Md Le Coultre with Venosa Viola

Betty Corning with Plena Elegans

Emila Plater with Ville de Lyon

Comtesse de Bouchaud with John Huxtable

Just a few photos I have so far that show combos:

Relections with Md Julia Correvon:

{{gwi:572616}}

Emila Plater with Ville de Lyon:

{{gwi:572605}}

Fireworks with Niobe blooming in liatris (blazing star):

{{gwi:573258}}

Comments (33)

• irish_rose_grower
    12 years ago

Oh what a great thread you started. Thanks:-)
    I am so happy to see this and hope some of the folks here will give us some pics so we can see how lovely the combos look.

I'm going to pair:

Huldine with Jackmanii as i saw a pic here on GW and it was stunning...

I also read on GW that one person saw Hagley Hybrid and Rouge Cardinal and she said it was stunning.

I have Ville de Lyon, it is probably my favorite clem (I grow about 10 different ones, but after this season i should have more like 25).

There is a co-op on another garden website and the clematis are 3.90 ea. They are one year old sold in 2 1/2 " containers. I suppose they have to be babied the first year or two but i'm going to buy a bunch and pot them up and see how they do. I will then put them in the ground come fall.

I'm so excited about the upcoming gardening season. I think it's 53 days till Spring..yay!!

• bonitamariposa
    12 years ago

Oooh, I'm excited about this thread...can't wait to see all the combos. My favorite is Huldine & Jackmanii. I also like Venosa Violacea & Comtesse de Bouchaud.
    {{gwi:573260}}
    title="Comtesse de Bouchard & Venosa Violacea by cameragirl59, on Flickr">{{gwi:573262}}

{{gwi:573263}}

I've also paired these and can't wait to take a pic:

Etoile Violette & Betty Corning
    Huldine & Ville de Lyon
    Blue Angel & Viola
    Madame Baron & Huldine

• plantloverkat north Houston - 9a
    12 years ago

Pmermakov, yours are lovely combinations. My favorite is Emila Plater with Ville de Lyon. I love the liatris combination as well as I am starting to think more about combinations involving plants other than clematis.

Bonitamariposa, I especially like the photo of Venosa Violacea with Comtesse de Bouchaud. Can you tell us which two varieties are in your last photo?

• bonitamariposa
    12 years ago

Plantloverkat,

I know for sure one of them is Comtesse but I'm not sure if the other variety is Ruutel or Rouge Cardinal.

• FrozeBudd_z3/4
    12 years ago

Had previously posted this under the wrong thread :(

I've paired the following up and will post pictures this summer

Viola with Princess Diana

Barbara Harrington and Perle d'Azur

Ville de Lyon and Prince Charles

Perle d'Azur and Marie Cornelia

Emilia Plater and Madame Julia Correvon, looks especially good!

Ville de Lyon and Romantika

Florida Sieboldii with Barbara Harrington

Perle d'Azur with Comtesse de Bouchaud ... really prudy together!

Terrance

• gardenbug
    12 years ago

All these clematis are stunning. I have Huldine and Jackmanii and they are beautiful together. Last year, I received a lot of nice compliments from some of my neighbors. I don't think I've ever seen a combination I didn't like. I absolutely love clematis!

• pmermakov
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I thought it would be fun if who ever posted on this thread would be able to update further with photos of their favorite combos of clematis. I was able to take photos of the following ones:

Forever Friends with Romantika and blanket flower (my favorite combo):
    {{gwi:571229}}

Happy Birthday with Blue Angel:
    {{gwi:573264}}

Multi Blue with Liberation:
    {{gwi:571281}}

Prince Charles with Royal Velours:
    {{gwi:571225}}

Barbara Herrington with Luther Burbank:
    {{gwi:572100}}

Emila Plater, Etoile Violette, Huldine
    {{gwi:573265}}

Emila Plater with Ville de Lyon:
    {{gwi:571222}}

Huldine with Etoilte Violette
    {{gwi:572058}}

Daniel Deronda with Victoria Salvia:
    {{gwi:572679}}

• roseberri, z6
    11 years ago

most of my clematis are too young to display what I was hoping for. Here is one that needs to grow more, especially the rose, it is a combo of Ghislaine de Feligonde and John Howells Clematis.on the opposte side of the arch is Dortmund rose and Guernsey Cream but I dont have a good picture of them.
    roseberri

• sandyl
    11 years ago

I'm really liking John Howell's. He's popped up several time here on the forum lately. Is it really that RED?. I don't have any reds. Thinking I need to add it to my collection..

• pmermakov
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Roseberri, your John Howells is beautiful!

Sandyl, I just got John Howells last year, so only a few blooms. The color of red was similar to Gravetye Beauty. It is not a burgundy red or a fuchsia. I am looking forward to seeing it mature in my garden.

• roseberri, z6
    11 years ago

Thank you ladies, all your combos are fantastic!, Yes my john Howells is that red I really like it because it blooms most of the summer, it a later type 3 in the picture it began
    blooming in june and was still blooming in Sept/ Oct! It was only 2yrs old there! I put together a combo this past summer but will have to wait and see how it comes out,
    Ramona, Clair de Lune and Varenne
    roseberri

• ibanez540r
    11 years ago

Etoile Violette and Don Juan CL

• stimpy926
    11 years ago

roseberri, where did you buy John Howells ?

• NHBabs z4b-5a NH
    10 years ago

Viola and Betty Corning, more pink than either of them are in real life. Viola is really a deep purple and Betty is a nice lavender.

• garystpaul
    10 years ago

This is one of my favorite combinations: Betty Corning and Etoile Rose.

{{gwi:573279}}

{{gwi:573281}}

• mnwsgal
    10 years ago

I have Viola and Betty Corning on one side of my deck. This is the second year and Betty is doing well but Viola is barely growing. The deck area is the only area that I haven't put fencing around the bottom of the clematis plants. Most are doing well but two are not. May have to reconsider and add some protection. To complicate matters there are two large trees in the area competing for water and nutrients.

Thanks all for sharing your photos.

• NHBabs z4b-5a NH
    10 years ago

Little Bas on Hydrangea paniculata 'Pink Diamond'.

• kentstar
    10 years ago

Here's my favorite two, Beauty of Worcester and Ernest Markham! The almost hot pink and lovely purple of Ernest go so well and both bloom so abundantly for me!

• Joan Dupuis
    10 years ago

Love this kind of post. We get to see what combo's we like before we plant, although I don't have much more room for more.
    I want to post some of mine that I took today, but don't see how to post more than 1 picture at a time.

• Joan Dupuis
    10 years ago

Gonna try to post more than 1 picture at a time. If this doesn't work, could someone direct me to instructions on how to do that? I did a search on "how to post pictures" but found nothing.

• Joan Dupuis
    10 years ago

Gonna see if this works using Photobucket.
    A lot of these clems are on a long fence as you'll see in the last pic.

{{gwi:573282}}

{{gwi:573284}}

{{gwi:573286}}

{{gwi:573288}}

{{gwi:573290}}

{{gwi:573291}}

• NHBabs z4b-5a NH
    10 years ago

Stunning, Bloomorelse! It looks like the whole row goes well together.

• garyz8bpnw
    6 years ago

How about Rose 'Zephirine Douhin' and Clematis 'The President' with Cardiocrinum giganteum v Yunnanese? The shade loving Cardiocrinum was 9.5'.

• garyz8bpnw
    6 years ago

Internet photos found

Clematis 'Nelly Moser' with a Rose like 'Don Juan'.

Clematis 'Elsa Spath' with Rose 'Zephirine Douhin'

Clematis 'Jackmanii' with Lonicera 'Scentsation'

Clematis combination gone wild! Amazing but little over the top for me.

• totoro z7b Md
    6 years ago
    I am new to growing clematis with roses. Last year I had planted some and only had a few blooms. I really like Rooguchi with Wollerton Old Hall rose and am hoping that Teasing Georgia rose will join them this year
  • totoro z7b Md
    6 years ago
    also Eden rose with Samaratan Jo. hope to get a better shot with roses this year
  • Lilyfinch z9a Murrieta Ca
    6 years ago

Beautiful totoro !! I was thinking of ordering samiritan jo... I have to order blue angel for my Bathsheba rose . This spring I planted

peach silk cl roses with Emilia plater arbor

pearly gates on one side of arbor , setzer noisette and solina clem

perle d azure with nahema pairs on another arbor

Betty Corning in between blossomtime rose and wollerton olds hall

Amelia in between some roses

durandi under teasing Georgia

safire indigo at base of queen of Sweden and first crush

rogucci in my darlows enigma

Do you have buds on Eden ?

I don't see buds on mine yet. Girl if there ever was a rose that frustrates me this is it !! lol mine is by jackmani

• totoro z7b Md
    6 years ago

Lilyfinch, so funny how we have many of the same roses and now I will follow your lead into clematis!

No buds on Eden yet. I hope you get the big flush you have been waiting so patiently for so many years.

I so want to get Bathsheba. Looking forward to seeing your first blooms.

• Lilyfinch z9a Murrieta Ca
    6 years ago

Totoro , you bet I'll share lots of pics. I ordered blue angel , venosa viocola and samiritan jo from donahues yesterday. I called all the nurserys locally but no one had any of those coming.

I love that we grow the same plants, we would make great neighbors! Haha

i gave Eden alfalfa tea , and cow compost. And wrapped her canes around an obelisk. That is all I can do! Maybe I'll get some banana peels there too . :)

• totoro z7b Md
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

Yeah, and we could go to church together and our kids could garden and play together too!

• totoro z7b Md
    6 years ago

Just went to check and my Eden does have buds. Hope yours does soon also

• totoro z7b Md
    6 years ago

Actually those buds are on Sombreuil not Eden! Still no buds on Eden.

I also had Saphire Indigo as ground cover with Wildeve and Mystic Beauty.

MB was new band last year and did not bloom at all. This year I hope to see at least one bloom.