Return to the Clematis Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Where to purchase clematis

Posted by Digginlife 6ny (My Page) on
Wed, Jan 9, 13 at 11:49

Can anyone suggest a good place to order clematis from?..besides lowes or home depot... Any other tips when ordering . Thanks

This post was edited by Digginlife on Wed, Jan 9, 13 at 14:11

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Where to purchase clematis

Here is a link to a discussion here on GW as to where folks have purchased from. Lots of choices.

I've only purchased from Bluestone Perennials (6 clematis) and Silver Star Vinery (1). Bluestone Perennials replaced a couple of ones that didn't make it here so they stand by their guarantee. Silver Star Vinery sends large, well rooted vine. Some people believe the shipping is high and prices are high but your getting a larger rooted vine.

Here is a link that might be useful: Mail Order List Updated - Garden Web Clematis forum

o

I highly recommend Brushwood Nursery. I have ordered from them for several years and have always been very pleased with the clematis I received. They come in quart sized pots, fully rooted, well labeled and healthy. I also found their prices to be better than average and the shipping costs very reasonable.

Here is a link that might be useful: Brushwood Nursery

o

I also would recommend Brushwood for all the reasons mentioned above.

Two other places I have ordered from and been pleased with the quality:
Silver Star Vinery on the west coast http://www.silverstarvinery.com. The plants are healthy and typically a bit larger than those from Brushwood, though after a couple of years you wouldn't know the difference.

and Hummingbird Farm in Maine. http://hummingbirdfarm.net/clematis.htm
Their plants are about the size of Brushwood's, but a bit more expensive. I like their plants, but they put their list up later than most other online nurseries. You can get on their mailing list to be informed when they are open for orders. They have sometimes had varieties that I haven't found elsewhere.

Another nursery with a good reputation, but which I haven't ordered from is Joy Creek. http://www.joycreek.com They have a wide selection, but tend to be the most pricey.

Each nursery has a different selection of plants, so if there is a particular color, bloom season or growth habit you want, having several sources is nice.

o

Wow thank everyone for all the great input!!! Im checking out the sites now.I cant believe all the choices .Thanks again

o

I went on a clematis buying kick last fall. Ordered from Brushwood, Joy Creek, Garden Crossings and Bluestone. Joy Creek plants were in big pots and were huge. Bluestone's were the smallest but very healthy. Brushwood and Garden Crossings were extremely healthy plants that are growing well. I have all in pots and will plant out in spring. You cant go wrong ordering from any of these vendors.

o

One thing I wanted to mention is sign-up, if you can, on a vendors website for their newsletters/promotions or whatever they like to call it. Many times and I know this recently was the case with Brushwood, they runs specials which if you are not watching a site, you may miss some deals.

Just a thought...

Julia

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Clematis Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here