Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pmermakov

Please share your pretty flower photos here!

pmermakov
12 years ago

Hi, we were experiencing a winter storm right now in Ohio and I thought I would upload a few photos from last summer in my garden. Some are not of clematis, but I'm sure we all love pretty flowers...

Iris and Peonies:

{{gwi:573864}}

Daylilies and more:

{{gwi:573867}}

Gay feather with Fireworks and Niobe clematis:

{{gwi:573258}}

My garden in the late spring:

{{gwi:573871}}

Pink Delight coneflower and petunias:

{{gwi:573874}}

Purple coneflowers, daylilies and rudbeckia:

{{gwi:573878}}

Happy Birthday clematis

{{gwi:573880}}

Phlox, black-eyed susans and purple coneflowers:

{{gwi:573882}}

Riot of color:

{{gwi:573884}}

Anna-Louise:

{{gwi:573885}}

Carnaby:

{{gwi:573886}}

Yarrow 'Pomegranate':

{{gwi:573887}}

Princess Alexandra:

{{gwi:573888}}

Butterfly on red zinnia:

{{gwi:573889}}

Toad Lilies:

{{gwi:573890}}

Silmakivi in the late summer:

Comments (26)

• plantloverkat north Houston - 9a
    12 years ago

Emilia Plater:
    {{gwi:246163}}

Petit Faucon:
    {{gwi:573892}}

Bat faced cuphea:
    {{gwi:573893}}

Bonanza:
    {{gwi:573894}}

Zoin (Inspiration) - this is a real bloom machine for me:
    {{gwi:573895}}

Buck rose Mountain Music:
    {{gwi:573896}}

Hybrid musk rose Kathleen:
    {{gwi:573897}}

Toad lily Sinome:
    {{gwi:573898}}

Wild spring bulb that grows in our yard:
    {{gwi:573900}}

• irish_rose_grower
    12 years ago

Wow, your pics are super nice. Your gardens are so pretty, like out of a magazine. I really enjoyed all the pics.

• greenhavenrdgarden
    12 years ago

Wow!!! What beautiful pics. I am in awe. Love it.
    I have a few questions I hope you don't mind me asking. The arbor in the 4th pic down, made with wood and metal-where did you get it? It is EXACTLY what I want for my garden but I havent seen anything like it. It's PERFECT!
    Also, do you use edging on your curved beds? The lines are so crisp and neat. If you do can I ask what kind?
    Finally, are the beds slightly raised (higher than the grass?) or is it just the mulch that makes it look that way. If it is raised, did you bring in dirt to raise it?
    My garden is brand new but I hope one day it will be as pretty as yours. Thanks for any help. I know it might be obvious to some but I am very new at this :) Thanks again!!

• pmermakov
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Just wanted to get back with GreenHavenGarden's questions. The arbor I bought is made out of medal, but painted to look like wood. I wrapped the latice part with black coated wire, to make it possible for the clematis to climb it. I purchased the arbor at Lowes in August 2010 clearenced for about $60. I was so excited to find something I liked at a price I could afford! I did have to add stakes and tie it up because the wind kept knocking it down.
    When we moved into our housing development in '05 all the topsoil was pretty much gone, so we had about 45 yards brought in to build up the gardens. As far as the edging the beds, I do it all by hand with a spade! Thank you for the high praises for my garden.

• piksi_hk
    12 years ago

My, what lovely photos! Last spring I found and dug up a few bulbs from my parents lawn (Herbertia, alphonia drummondii) (your last photo). I'm hoping they will bloom for me.
    Gotta love that toad lily and the clematis. Thanks for sharing.

• irish_rose_grower
    12 years ago

HI, i see a gorgeous daylily in one of your gardens.
    Which dayllys is on the bottom left of the group shot? it looks like a bi-tone? I would love to know the name of this one.

Thanks!

• pmermakov
    Original Author
    12 years ago

IrishRoseGrower: There are two photos with daylilies in them. The first photo shows Amanda's Little Red Shoes (double red) and the second photo on the lower left side is, Truly Angelic. I hope this helps.

• FrozeBudd_z3/4
    12 years ago

Viola

{{gwi:573901}}

Ville de Lyon planted spring 2011 and grew 10 ft tall in its very first season!

{{gwi:573902}}

A very attractive seedling of mine

{{gwi:573903}}

Seedling

{{gwi:573904}}

Seedling

{{gwi:573905}}

Another seedling I really like

{{gwi:573907}}

Seedling

{{gwi:573909}}

Terrance

• irish_rose_grower
    12 years ago

It's Truly Angelic -- what a beautiful daylily. Thanks for giving me the name.

Terrance - what great pics of your clems. I love your seedlings. I've never had any luck getting clem seeds to germinate....do you have any tricks you can share?
    Do you hybridize or are they self pollinated or pollinated by bees?

• FrozeBudd_z3/4
    12 years ago

Thank you irish_rose_grower ... yes, the seedlings shown are all from intentional crosses I've made. One thing that has aided is germination is placing the fresh seed in a baggie in moistened peat moss and keeping in continuous warmth. This method seems to be faster and more reliable than a prolonged cold then warm treatment.

I notice that my second to last seedling has a strong resemblance to 'Silmakivi', which isn't a bad thing.

Terrance

• irish_rose_grower
    12 years ago

Terrance - tks for this info. How do you keep them in continuous warmth - seedling mat? Would have have any seeds you would like to trade for seeds I have(no clem seeds but daylilys, lupines, etc).

• FrozeBudd_z3/4
    12 years ago

I place the baggie of seeds upon the television satellite receiver that emits a nice bit of warmth of about 85 F. Unfortunately, I have no clematis seeds on hand, last year I undertook no crossings and saved only but a few open pollinated seed from one plant.

• irish_rose_grower
    12 years ago

Thanks for the info Terrance:-)

• FrozeBudd_z3/4
    12 years ago

Again, sorry for not having extra clematis seeds on hand, I really should have collected some open pollinated ones, as these often produce surprisingly desirable plants! Autumn was warm and prolonged providing the chance for many of the seeds to mature, which seldom occurs in my zone 3.

• irish_rose_grower
    12 years ago

No problem Terrance, i would still be happy to share some of my daylily cross seeds if you are interested in trying some.

I bet a prolonged and warm fall was very welcome to you from zone 3.

• FrozeBudd_z3/4
    12 years ago

Very kind of you for the offer of daylily seeds. I'm still in the development phase of my new yard and have about 70 or more containers of trees, shrubs and perennials sitting half neglected and all yelling out for my attention. This year, I've pretty much decided enough is enough and determined to cut back on the annuals and such until most of the other stuff is planted. At this point, I really do hate to take on good valuable seeds only to neglect them!

12 years ago

Terrance, all of your seedlings are lovely, but I especially like the first and last one. Using your method, how long does it take for germination to occur? and how long does it take from germination to produce a flower?

• FrozeBudd_z3/4
    12 years ago

Thanks plantloverkat, the bit of clematis breeding work I've done has been fun and rewarding. Yes, that last seedling is rather unique if I do say so myself.

I've gotten germinations in as quickly as two months when using warm stratification and generally blooms by the second season, though given a bit of TLC, I've known others to have seedlings produce flowers in their very first year.

That first seedling shown had later produced these beauties

{{gwi:573911}}

• woodyoak zone 5 southern Ont., Canada
    12 years ago

I had several strange-looking clematis bloom this past summer. I'm assuming they were seedlings:
    {{gwi:169500}}

• Julia WV (6b)
    12 years ago

Wow, pmermakov , love your garden pics and everyone elses.
    Here is one that I posted on the daylily forum when I posted pics of my garden.

Comtesse de Bourchard
    {{gwi:573914}}

I have some others that just arrived this past year so hoping for some wonderful colors this coming season. Huldine did extremely well for a new planting.
    {{gwi:573916}}

Rebecca - also new 2011
    {{gwi:573917}}

Josephine - new 2011
    {{gwi:573918}}

Julia

• pmermakov
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Juliany, thanks so much for sharing your photos. I hope my Comtesse de Bouchaud is half a pretty as yours!

• Julia WV (6b)
    12 years ago

pmermakov: Okay, now its your turn to go on the daylily forum and show you garden pics. I know they will so enjoy those photos...I know I did.
    Do you know the name of the yellow and pinkish/peach iris in your photo? I'm looking for something similar in color with ruffles to add this year.

Julia

• pmermakov
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I think the iris you are reefering to is called, Coral Point. It is somewhat slow to increase, which is sort of a plus to me! I will try posting photos on the Daylily Forum soon. Thank you for the encouragement!

• FrozeBudd_z3/4
    12 years ago

juliany, your 'Comtesse de Bouchaud' looks fantastic, I have this one and also its sport 'Barbara Harrington', which is a richly colored variety.

Terrance

12 years ago

Here is an old thread from the clematis forum with lots of photos.

Here is a link that might be useful: old thread

12 years ago

more photos on an old thread

Here is a link that might be useful: old thread