Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sharon_can

Wallenburg or Mrs Harvey

sharon_can
14 years ago

Does anyone have experience with either of these clematis............photos? comments?

Thanks!

Comments (14)

• kitkat_oregon
    14 years ago

Wow! What gorgeous clems. I especially love Mrs Harvey's frilly skirt. Thanks for the introduction. They both appear to be relatively new to the market is this true? I hope someone has some more input, but in the meantime they have both been added to the LONG wish list. I keep eyeing my fence for ideas for new space. Such an addiction these plants are. Kat

• sharon_can
    Original Author
    14 years ago

They are both relatively new, Kat. Are you from Oregon? I'm going out there (to Portland) this Sept for an international clematis conference and then touring down the coast and visiting gardens. Any must-sees?
    Sharon

• kitkat_oregon
    14 years ago

Hi Sharon, I am in Oregon. Southern Oregon, Eagle Point/Medford area. I read about the conference in September and I want to go. Unfortunately, there are not any gardens around here that I know of. Ashland and Jacksonville are the prettiest towns around and lots of people garden, but I dont know of any that are open to the public. I may be wrong and I will do some research and report back if I find anything. So, fess up, how many clems have you got? If you are coming all the way to Portland for the conference, I would be willing to bet that you have lots:) Kat

• sharon_can
    Original Author
    14 years ago

It's embarrassing but I have 185 on a small city lot!

• kitkat_oregon
    14 years ago

Well, well, well yet another addict....;) 185!!! That would be considered a veritable forest. I am pretty much starting over from scratch and developing my clems for cut flowers.

Were you planning on buying Walenburg and Mrs Harvey from Gardenimport? Have you bought from them before and if so were you happy with them? Of all your 185, do you have favorite species or colors, and what makes them so? Are you a member of the American Clematis Society as well?

As to what to see down here, I should just add in that Ashland has a gorgeous park, Lithia Park, with a Japanese Garden and duck ponds and forest walks and other stuff but no clematis gardens to speak of, but it is worth a walk through if you are in town. Kat

• buyorsell888
    14 years ago

Sharon, are you asking about must see gardens with Clematis in the Portland area and the coast?

There are must see gardens in Oregon but the only one that specializes in Clematis is very new and they aren't mature yet so isn't very showy.

I would consider the International Rose Test Garden, Japanese Garden and Chinese Garden all in Portland as must see.

• sharon_can
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks for your info re garden visits. Actually I am interested in gardens whether or not they feature clematis.
    Kat, I am a member of the American Clematis Society. In Canada we have few sources for the lesser known clematis and garden Import always has something interesting and I imagine I will get Wallenburg and Mrs Harvey although it will be a challenge to find a place to put them. To be honest clematis from Garden Import need to be coddled a bit but you do what you have to do, right?

• kitkat_oregon
    14 years ago

Sharon, are the folks at the International Clematis conference going to have plants for sale? I am a member of the ACS too, new member, I joined a few months ago and I enjoy the site except I wish that Edith, or whoever maintains the site would date the articles. It is quite frustrating to think that you are reading up to date information only to discover that it is several years old. Anyway, I am very tempted by both Mrs Harvey and Wallenburg. Yup, you do what you have to do!! Kat

• sharon_can
    Original Author
    14 years ago

There is not a lot of info yet but they are holding a flower show and "world market" which seems to indicate plants for sale.
    Forgot to tell you my favorites.......Guernsey Cream and Venosa Violacea, Guernsey blooms early and is an elegant creamy flower and Violacea is a stunning combo of purple and white. Blue Ravine, Ramona and Lasurstern are all large violet or pale lilac blooms....gorgeous! Very hard to choose!

• unprofessional
    14 years ago

Walenburg is gorgeous - really nice contrast between red and white. Mine bloomed pretty heavily in its first year, and then rebloomed just as the snow was hitting. The only thing that's slightly unfortunate about it is that the blooms face down, and until the plant has some height, you have to pick them up to really look at them. One of my favorites, though.

• sharon_can
    Original Author
    14 years ago

The picture of Wallenburg looks very winey-red. How would you describe it?
    S

• unprofessional
    14 years ago

I would say that's about right. The white really contrasts against it so nicely.

Here's the best shot I ended up getting of it this year:

{{gwi:574060}}

• nckvilledudes
    14 years ago

Sharon, was looking back through my clematis pictures and came across a shot of Walenburg. This is the first year the plant was obtained and it is growing in a container in full sun so the color might not be as intense as when the flower first opened. Clickable thumbnail.

{{gwi:574061}}

• cnetter
    14 years ago

Yet another picture of Wallenburg bloom:
    {{gwi:574063}}