Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
italfra1

Pruning questions...

Italfra1
11 years ago

Hi, I'm a newbie here and this is my first post. Last summer was my first time buying and planting clematis in my yard. I'm addicted, say no more. I purchased three clematis vines from a local nursery that we're just a few feet tall with very thin little vines. They took off and in no time at all they climbed my trellis and I had flowers on all three vines. The three clematis vines that I purchased are Josephine (type 2), Villa de Lyon (group 3)
and Romona (group 2). I'm in Northern CA and we have a nice long summer and very few temps below freezing in the winter. So my question is how do I prune these three different types of clematis?

The information is a little confusing to a clematis newbie and I don't want to harm my vines. At this point the vines near the base of the plants are a thin brown woody vine. Basically looks like dead wood.

Everything that I've read so far says that I can hard prune these number 2 & 3 groups down to a foot or two.

I guess I'm just looking for some direction here and someone to tell me that they'll grow back nice and healthy if I hard prune them.

Any suggestions on pruning these three types of clematis would be greatly appreciated. Can't wait to buy more new vines as soon as the weather warms up. Thank you

Comments (11)

• NHBabs z4b-5a NH
    11 years ago

For the first couple of years, hard prune all of them. The FAQ says:
    "Young vines should all be pruned to 12 inches the second spring and to 18 inches the third spring. It helps to develop more shoots, a fuller vine, and a better root system. " It doesn't matter which pruning type it is; they all get this treatment for best fullness later on in life.

I've linked to the FAQ question on pruning, but you can get to all the FAQs from the top of the main page of this forum.

Here is a link that might be useful: Pruning FAQ

• Italfra1
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks.. I went ahead and did a hard prune like everyone has recommended. I pruned them back to about 12 inches or so and will prune them back to 18 inches next year. Looking to build strong stems and heavy flowering from top to bottom. Can't wait to start seeing the vines take off.

• alameda/zone 8/East Texas
    11 years ago

I have a question about when to prune. I am in east Texas - we start warming up about mid February here and I prune my roses on Valentines Day. When should I prune my clematis? Thanks!
    Judith

• Italfra1
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hi Judith, I'm far from an expert as you can tell by my initial post. I would think that your ready to prune your clematis now but I would get a second opinion. I'm in Norther CA and I just pruned mine a week ago. Mine we're only in the ground one year so I did a hard prune and can't wait to see the new vines in the Spring. Good luck.

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    11 years ago

Typically, most clematis get pruned the same time it is appropriate to prune roses - Valentine's Day sounds about right (and when I start thinking about pruning mine). The exception are those early blooming types (usually grouped as pruning group 1) that bloom only on old growth. These should be pruned - if needed - immediately after the bloom is finished.

• stimpy926
    11 years ago

I use a good plant label and put a 1 , 2, or 3 after the name of the clematis so I know which group it is without having to stop and look it up.

• stimpy926
    11 years ago

I use a good plant label and put a 1 , 2, or 3 after the name of the clematis so I know which group it is without having to stop and look it up.

• stimpy926
    11 years ago

• stimpy926
    11 years ago

I use a good plant label and put a 1 , 2, or 3 after the name of the clematis so I know which group it is without having to stop what I'm doing . and go look it up

• stimpy926
    11 years ago

jeez louise! sorry folks, stupid Verizon!

• buyorsell888
    11 years ago

Roses and Clemmies at the same time is a good rule of (green) thumb

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading Kitchen & Bath Remodelers in Franklin County, OH