Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
italfra1

Pruning questions...

Italfra1
11 years ago

Hi, I'm a newbie here and this is my first post. Last summer was my first time buying and planting clematis in my yard. I'm addicted, say no more. I purchased three clematis vines from a local nursery that we're just a few feet tall with very thin little vines. They took off and in no time at all they climbed my trellis and I had flowers on all three vines. The three clematis vines that I purchased are Josephine (type 2), Villa de Lyon (group 3)
and Romona (group 2). I'm in Northern CA and we have a nice long summer and very few temps below freezing in the winter. So my question is how do I prune these three different types of clematis?

The information is a little confusing to a clematis newbie and I don't want to harm my vines. At this point the vines near the base of the plants are a thin brown woody vine. Basically looks like dead wood.

Everything that I've read so far says that I can hard prune these number 2 & 3 groups down to a foot or two.

I guess I'm just looking for some direction here and someone to tell me that they'll grow back nice and healthy if I hard prune them.

Any suggestions on pruning these three types of clematis would be greatly appreciated. Can't wait to buy more new vines as soon as the weather warms up. Thank you

Comments (11)

Sponsored
Ed Ball Landscape Architecture
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars30 Reviews
Exquisite Landscape Architecture & Design - “Best of Houzz" Winner