Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lady_alicia

Clematis didn't bloom hardly at all

I'm ot sure what class my Clematis is, but I do know I have to cut it back each year. When I first got it (probably 10 years ago), it was a dark purple, which is what I wanted, but after about fours years, it bloomed a lilac color instead. It was still beautiful and loaded with flowers. This past summer it had maybe five flowers between the two separate plants I have planted. :(

So this fall, I didn't cut it back. I left the plant die hoping the energy will go back into the plant. ?? And I'll cut all the dead vines and leaves as soon as our ground thaws in the early spring before the new growth starts.

Now, should I be feeding it? Is that my problem as far as growth and color? And if so, what would you suggest? I've fed it Miracle Grow in the spring, but it didn't help.

I have this other variety that's a Magenta color (as pictured), never did a thing to it, cut it back in the fall, and it has bloomed the same every year and is always full of blooms. I just don't know what I'm doing wrong with the other ones.

Comments (2)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting