Return to the Clematis Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Clematis didn't bloom hardly at all

Posted by lady_alicia 5 (afinalword@aol.com) on
Sat, Jan 4, 14 at 16:32

I'm ot sure what class my Clematis is, but I do know I have to cut it back each year. When I first got it (probably 10 years ago), it was a dark purple, which is what I wanted, but after about fours years, it bloomed a lilac color instead. It was still beautiful and loaded with flowers. This past summer it had maybe five flowers between the two separate plants I have planted. :(

So this fall, I didn't cut it back. I left the plant die hoping the energy will go back into the plant. ?? And I'll cut all the dead vines and leaves as soon as our ground thaws in the early spring before the new growth starts.

Now, should I be feeding it? Is that my problem as far as growth and color? And if so, what would you suggest? I've fed it Miracle Grow in the spring, but it didn't help.

I have this other variety that's a Magenta color (as pictured), never did a thing to it, cut it back in the fall, and it has bloomed the same every year and is always full of blooms. I just don't know what I'm doing wrong with the other ones.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Clematis didn't bloom hardly at all

I don't know the type...but I expect more flowers on mine if I don't cut back...give it a try :)

o
RE: Clematis didn't bloom hardly at all

Pruning and/or fertilizing have no impact on clematis flower color - it is what it is, although sun can sometimes fade out the blossoms. Since the vast majority of clematis tend to be hybrids of some sort, it is possible that color will not be stable, however named cultivars should maintain color regardless.

For most hybrid clematis the recommended pruning time is late winter/early spring......about March or when roses normally get pruned in your area. And they should be fertilized after pruning as well, just like roses :-) In fact, a rose fertilizer is often recommended but an all purpose or tomato/vegetable formulation will work as well. And many folks just fertilize with a good compost mulch each season. Skip the Miracle Gro - it's mostly hype and not worth the expense. A granular organic will generate much better results.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Clematis Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here