Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
denidill

duranidii crawling on the ground

denidill
14 years ago

Hi everyone,

I have a durandii which I have somehow managed to tie to my fence in an effort to get it to crawl over it. I did not realize it was not particularly 'clingy' and I am giving up on using it for this effect. However, I love the flower and was wondering if I could just let it sprawl or crawl through the flower bed? The flower bed is quite densely planted so I am not too sure how it would compete with the other perennials.

Thanks for any replies.

Comments (5)

• nckvilledudes
    14 years ago

As you have found out, Durandii is in the integrifolia family of clematis and does not cling. You have one of two main options on how to deal with the plant. You can continue to tie it to your fence or perhaps even weave the stems in and out of the fencing material depending on the size of the openings in the fence. I do the weaving bit on mine which is contained within a triangular shaped bit of fencing on the back of a bird feeder post.

Your other option is to allow it to sprawl. I have several integrifolias that are allowed to sprawl on top of blue pacific junipers. However the junipers are rather low growing and the clematis flowers are quite visible. If your surrounding plants are taller, then the clematis vines and flowers are liable to be too low to the ground and the plant may not get enough sunshine to prosper, not to mention you may never see the blooms.

• mnwsgal
    14 years ago

I have a 'Bushy Blue Bell' integrifolia that I grow through a crosshatched support. The foliage soon covers the support and is allowed to sprawl but still held up so one can see the bloom.

recently divided and moved, 2008

{{gwi:574209}}

{{gwi:574210}}

{{gwi:574211}}

Before moving and dividing, vines drape over sides covering support 2007

{{gwi:574212}}

• nckvilledudes
    14 years ago

That is a good idea mnwsgal. I have several extra of those peony supports which is what yours looks like. May try that with a few of my shorter growing integrifolias and addisonii. The only problem with doing that for Durandi is that mine grows way too tall for that support and the end of the stems with the blooms would be on the ground. Here is a shot of my support for Durandi which is that green metal vinyl covered fencing you can get that is about 3 feet tall. I just stapled mine to the post supporting the bird feeder.

{{gwi:574213}}

• mnwsgal
    14 years ago

I see Durandi can grow 7 feet which makes it a bit long for the peony support. I have 'Inspiration' and 'Recta' growing up 7 foot tall iron trellises with tucking them in here and there as needed.

Inspiration, spring, will grow to cover trellis and drape over top
    {{gwi:574215}}

Recta and Rouge Cardinal, as Recta grows I place a string across the center of the trellis to give the stems support. The string gets covered up by the foliage.

{{gwi:574216}}

Thanks for showing your fencing support, Miguel, am always looking for new and cheaper ways to support my new clematis plants. I am adding a larger wire support for several clems on the east side of my house using your large wire fencing trellis as a reference.

• nckvilledudes
    14 years ago

No problem mnswgal. That is what these forums are all about--sharing info that we can all use!