Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
luxrosa

Your favorite purple and blue clematis

luxrosa
13 years ago

I prefer growing plants that were introduced at the time of the roses in my old rose collection, which date from 1795-1930's.

I've never grown a clematis, and my neighbors new clem. died, so I'd like a clematis that is easy to grow.

I intend to plant it between two yellow Old Garden Roses "Celine Forestier" and "Marachel Niel" .

I like the color of Durandii, it reminds me of Wedgewood porcelain from the 1800's.

Etoille de Violette" is a little too dark for me, and I see Polish Spirit too often in our area to desire to see it everyday in my garden.

advice would be very much appreciated. It does not have to be a historical clematis, especially if a modern clem is much easier to grow, or blooms for more weeks of the year.

Thanks,

Luxrosa

Comments (24)

• pmermakov
    13 years ago

Hi, I am new into clematis, but in the gallery I found a thread called, "I'd Love To See your Color Combos" that you might find helpful. I especially enjoyed at the end of the thread, the photo of Prince Charles and Ville de Lyon planted together. Another clematis that might interest you is Cezanne. Good Luck!

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    13 years ago

My preference is 'Harlow Carr', a relatively new introduction but an amazing vine. It has a very rich, deep indigo blue color and is exceptionally long blooming. Smaller flower size, but what it lacks in individual flower size, it more than makes up for in quantity of flowers and length of bloom time. Mine was still in bloom as late as November.

Here is a link that might be useful: 'Harlow Carr' at Joy Creek

• hannesdp
    13 years ago

The combination of yellow roses with blue clematis is always a winner. Try Vitticella Venosa Violacea or Victoria. Good blue would be Frau Mikiko, Elsa Spath, Daniel Deronda or The President. The easiest to grow form the above is the first two and Elsa Spath. Good Luck!

Here is a link that might be useful: South African Website Dedicated to Clematis

• plantloverkat north Houston - 9a
    13 years ago

'Prince Charles' and 'Emilia Plater' both have similarly colored violet blue flowers. For me, "Emilia Plater' is far more vigorous, both in terms of number of vines it sends out every year and how tall it will grow (it also is growing in a prime spot). Both will repeat bloom for me, but will do so faster if I cut them back after bloom. I really like this color for the way it seems to glow at dusk.

I added an integrifolia hybrid called 'Petit Faucon' late last spring. I was quite impressed with how quickly it flowered after planting and how many flowers it produced. I really liked the flower shape and blue color.

In "Clematis for Small Spaces", Raymond Evison says this about 'Harlow Carr':
    "During trials in California, north of San Francisco, it flowered from mid spring until late autumn, and continued to flower even when temperatures rose above 100 degrees F."
    I do not grow this variety, but between Raymond Evison and Gardengal48, it certainly does sound like a winner.

Kathy

Here is a link that might be useful: Emilia Plater at the International Clematis Society

• buyorsell888
    13 years ago

I had 'Durandii' planted between two roses but it's stems are straight and don't twine at all and it was very awkward there. I think it needs an obelisk/pillar.

I have 'Harlow Carr' but haven't managed to plant it in the garden yet so can't comment on it's performance.

'Juuli' is my longest blooming of the "Blue" Clematis, her stems are less rigid than 'Durandii' for me too. She blooms twice as long as 'Prince Charles' for me. Is much smaller growing though.

• plantloverkat north Houston - 9a
    13 years ago

Buyorsell888, thanks for the report on 'Juuli'. I had already ordered it from Brushwood, but I had never heard any first hand information on it. I am really glad to hear it blooms for such a long time.

Kathy

• jeanne_texas
    13 years ago

Clematis Ramona for Blue and Clematis Voluceau, Etoile Violette, Polish Spirit, Clematis Purpurea Plena Elegans & Clematis Solina for Purples..

• bonitamariposa
    13 years ago

I like Huldine with Jackmani..
    {{gwi:574222}}

• jeanne_texas
    13 years ago

Very Pretty..love that pic

• danasplants
    13 years ago

Hi I am glad I just found this I just recently bought Jackmanii and H. F. Young going to give these a try there only roots now. So getting ready to pot them up Walmart find. Package says plant 2 inches deep think they need to be deeper than that??

• buyorsell888
    13 years ago

I usually plant them three or four inches deeper but it depends on how big the plant is that you are starting with.

• pippi21
    13 years ago

Question for bonitamaparosa..when one combines two different varities together like that purple and white which is so beautiful..I guess they both should be in same group so they can be prunned same way? How old are those vines? Did you plant them together from the beginning or plant one and add another beside it later? They are so full and lush and healthy looking; I guessing they have some age on them?

• bonitamariposa
    13 years ago

Hi Pippi,

Yes they are both in Group 3. The Jackmanii is 7 years and the Huldine about 2 yrs old. I usually feed them the same time I feed my roses with Magic Mills.

Danaplants, you're going to love H.F. Young, here's mine:

{{gwi:574223}}

• FrozeBudd_z3/4
    13 years ago

Awesome photos bonitamariposa !

'Juuli' is a very attractive shorter growing non climbing clematis.

{{gwi:574225}}

{{gwi:574227}}

I'm also a big fan of clematis 'Prince Charles' and the very tall growing 'Perle d Azur', you can't get much better than that clematis!

Although a very dark purple almost black color, 'Viola' has a spark and richness that really draws the eye, some have claimed to have mildew problems with this variety. 'Romantika' and 'Warsaw Nike' are other dramatic richly colored clematis.

Terrance

• bonitamariposa
    13 years ago

Very pretty Terrance. I recently purchased Viola and can't wait to see it fully bloomed.

• sandyl
    13 years ago

WOW bonitamariposa that Huldine and Jack are beautiful together. I just happen to have a 7 year old jackmani in the ground and a almost 2 year old Huldine in a large pot that I just might have to put together..Sandy

• bonitamariposa
    13 years ago

Thanks Sandy :) I also want to pair Huldine with Ville de Lyon but I'm not sure which group Ville de Lyon falls in. Some say group 2, others say group 3.

• sandyl
    13 years ago

Clematis on the Web say's Ville de Lyon is a group 3.. Here is a link.. It is also beautiful.. I have a polish Spirit that I need to pair up with someone. Sandy

• janetpetiole
    13 years ago

Ville de Lyon will produce a few blooms in early spring when treated like a group 2, but it blooms much better if treated like a group 3.

HF Young is such a gorgeous clematis. It is my favorite purple in the garden and one of my favorite clematis.

• buyorsell888
    13 years ago

Here are 'Etoile Violette' and 'Betty Corning', 'Polish Spirit' blooms longer than both though it is younger and smaller.

{{gwi:574231}}

• hosenemesis
    13 years ago

I love the color of Perle D'Azure with yellow roses. I have never grown it, but Hoovb has a nice one growing with Laguna in Southern California.
    Renee

• bonitamariposa
    13 years ago

Buyorsell, absolutely gorgeous. I'm going to have to get 'Betty Corning'...how tall does she get? I'd like to pair Ernest Markham with another clematis, any suggestions?
    {{gwi:574234}}

• buyorsell888
    13 years ago

'Betty Corning' is a big one. That trellis is 9'tall and she reaches that and flops half way back down. She is also somewhat unruly with her growth, sending vines off in all directions.