Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
swanoir

Clematis: New Choice

swanoir
15 years ago

For two years, we have had three Clematis 'Comtesse de Bouchaud' growing along our shaded, west-facing fence. The first year it did fine but this past year it did not do well at all. Also, when we put in our landscaping, we requested a clematis that did not require cutting back because we actually liked the presentation of the vine on the fence and the relative ease of maintenance. However, despite this and despite not really being thrilled with the Comtesse, our landscaper told us this is the only clematis that will grow in the shade. We asked if there was any other, non-invasive flowering vines we could choose from, apart from climbing hydrangea, but she had no suggestions.

Since then, we have heard conflicting information about clematis growing in the shade, so I thought I would ask the experts. Can you recommend a clematis that would do well in the shade and blooms on old wood?

In terms of the intensity of the shade, there is some early morning sun in this area and maybe some dappled shade later in the day. It may be be better this coming season since four of our trees blew down last year. We have two climbing hydrangeas and, of course, some hostas that are doing well in this location.

Thanks!

Comments (6)

• nckvilledudes
    15 years ago

To begin with, the clematis that was planted originally is a type III clematis that generally does need trimming back on a yearly basis. If it is not pruned yearly, the existing stems will get woody over time and any flowering that happens will happen higher and higher on the new wood that is produced each year. Perhaps that was the cause of the diminishing blooms this past year. In addition, it may be suffering from water, sun, and nutrient competition if it is planted in an area where there are large trees and other shrubbery. Any clematis planted in these types of conditions will fail to thrive unless special attention is given to its water and nutrients needs (can't do much about the sunlight). Perhaps with four of the trees removed, this will remedy the light situation in the coming years.

Since you are interested in clematis that don't need pruning like the Comtesse does, I have consulted several books that I have and am providing a list of type II clematis that are listed as being able to tolerate shade. Just realize that it is difficult to determine how much shade on a quantitative scale that they require to actually flourish but at least you will have some names of varieties to try since trial and error is going to be your best bet to determine which, if any, will work in your location.

From "Simply Clematis" by Edith Malek:
    Asao
    Barbara Dibley
    C. W. Dowman (never heard of this one)
    Carnaby
    Charissima
    Dawn
    Fairy Queen
    Gillian Blades
    Josephine
    Lincoln Star
    Louise Rowe
    Nelly Moser
    Otto Froebel
    Peveril Pearl
    Pink Champagne
    Proteus
    Scartho Gem
    Silver Moon
    Wada's Primrose

From "Clematis for Small Places" by Raymond Evison:
    C. alpina cultivars
    C. macropetala cultivars
    Veronica's Choice
    Alabast
    Angelique
    Cezanne
    Chantilly
    Clare de Lune
    Dawn
    Fujimusume
    Guernsey Cream
    Ice Blue
    Silver Moon
    Twilight

Having multiple books on clematis I could continue on but this should give you something to start with.

Perhaps someone who gardens in a similar situation as yours will chime in and give you some real life choices as well. Good Luck!

• swanoir
    Original Author
    15 years ago

nckvilledudes:
    Thank you very much for your very helpful assistance. We do cut back our clematis yearly, we use a drip irrigation system, and we do use organic fertilizer to assist with nutrient needs. As you can see in the picture below, however, they were not very happy last year.

I will certainly take a look at the plants you have listed. A friend also suggested Alpina or Mrs. Cholmondeley.

Thanks again!

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:574262}}

• nckvilledudes
    15 years ago

The plant appears to have an issue with mildew. It may be partially due to an air circulation problem or lack of enough sunlight. Try spraying it proactively with a fungicide next year when it emerges and then intermittently throughout the growing season. The mildew may be affecting its blooming ability.

• swanoir
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Ok, will do if we decide to keep them. Thanks again.

• nckvilledudes
    15 years ago

No problem, glad to be of help.

• buyorsell888
    15 years ago

I never had that problem until I planted some Type IIIs and now my IIs are getting it as well. Some of them were ten years old. The leaves didn't drop off most of them either. They look awful, worse than bare stems.

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES